NDX2 set-up help

Don’t know if this is helpful; here’s a pic of the apple version with the volume ‘buttons’ at the bottom:

Summary

This text will be hidden

I thought green was mandatory?

1 Like

If yours has the RC5 plug, you need a new dealer

Ok. got it. A RC5 cable now on order. Something to tinker with over Christmas. Ta.

1 Like

I guess it depends. Conversely, there are other people (predominantly with Statement S1 or 552 into 500 or more) who say they hear slightly diminished SQ when the RC5 cable for the system automation is connected. YMMV as always :slight_smile:

Glad to have helped otherwise, thanks for letting me know :slight_smile: also to @Fifty-Fifty

1 Like

I prefer the white screen option, that green looks insipid next to the rich Naim green of the buttons.

2 Likes

Same here, it’s a poor match and looks broken or something. Sadly. Done better (it’s a standard screen …) it would have been neat

…unless the OP’s 282 is an older version which won’t work with the cable…

Which is why I said if benjy’s has it …

1 Like

I looked at the rear and there is a rc5 input on the 282, is that the only requirement to know whether it will work or not?

I hope that if it is there and labeled RC5, Naim actually wired it and it works :slight_smile:

As Blythe said that only very early 282/252 don’t have system automation, you could look up your serial number to check if it is very early:

The production dates of the various models are here:

In any case, I’m sure @Blythe can tell you.

Thanks, off hand don’t remember the serial #, easy enough to check, but I know it is a fairly recent 282, Certainly no older than 2017, so should not be a problem. Silly question but in the U.S., who sells this cable or is internet the way to go?

If you found the RC5 socket you also saw the serial :wink: but should be no problem then. It’s a bog-standard 3.5mm headphone plug to RCA plug cable. Can be a mono or stereo one, like you would use to connect a 3.5mm output on the smartphone to the stereo RCA input of a preamp. Only one of the RCA’s stereo ends works. With a stereo cable it should be the left (white) one that goes into the 282. You can cut off the end that does not work.

(Naim CD players according to my dealer work with the right (red) one. I am not done setting up and have not confirmed this yet, but it should be correct. If one has both, one can connect the NDX2 to both the RC5 on the CD and the RC5 on the pre by using a splitter and using two mono cables out of the splitter, or, with stereo cables, the white connector for the pre and the red for the CD. Then the NDX2 remote can control both the pre and the CD).

Here is the Naim system automation manual. I can’t seem to find it with search on the Naim website, but Google finds it when searching for “Naim system automation manual”. Go figure :man_shrugging: Note it is still for the NDX and hence the mentioned menu options are different from the modern app.

Some people reported to hear slightly decreased SQ if this cable is connected, but they seem to have Statement and 500 systems. Some people also said that an expensive shielded cable is needed. However, the cable from the RC5 plug inside the preamp is simple unshielded cable. Of course, it is longer on the outside between NDX2 and 282, and undeniably it creates another electrical connection that theoretically might pick up electromagnetic noise, though itself only carries a small current while you make an adjustment with the remote. Naim does not state that it affects SQ, and they are typically very picky about this stuff. I’d say start with a cheap one for a few $, you can try for yourself if you hear a difference between plugged and unplugged. I doubt it and can’t say I did on NDX2-252 when I tried a bit, but I have not performed critical tests - my system is all new and I am still getting used to its magic.

I’m afraid I can’t remember if mine already had an RC5 socket (I think it did) but my understanding was the 252 required some sort of “modification” to make it work with system automation on my NDX2.
The 252 was introduced some time in 2002 and I bought mine in 2003, so I guess quite an early one. Serial number: 1956**
The serial number of yours may give an indication of the RC5 compatibility, if it’s close to, or earlier than mine.

Thanks, I hope 2017 should be fine, as @benjy wrote in the meantime this is his year. It is before the NDX2 release, but the NDX existed. @benjy, you can always email support@naimaudio.com and tell them your S/N

1 Like

A 2017 year model should definitely be compatible.

1 Like

Makes you wonder about the dealer after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe the IR emitter was fitted due to operating an IR remote control out of “line of sight” as I have with my own system?
The IR emitter means I can adjust the volume whilst playing LP’s.
My 252 is not within “line of sight” of my listening position.
Or else the dealer wasn’t aware of system automation…

But the NDX2 remote works without line of sight anyway …
A mystery, but I guess it’s time for bed :crazy_face:

1 Like

But the 252 remote doesn’t.