NDX2 vs NSC222

Which sources are those. I have not read anything on here saying that (from people who have actually done the comparison) for me, doing the direct comparison the 222 without ps is certainly not at 282 level. With ps it is close

4 Likes

As I have read, the NSC222 is closer to the ND5 XS2 than the NDX2 with regard to streaming/DAC.

However, they all use the same basic ā€œcomputer/streamingā€ component with essentially the same software. So they should get the same software features and updates in the future. (The NSC222 is late within that generation; digitally, at least.)

That seems very unlikely to me. These types of claim usually originate from either blatant ownership bias or dealers chasing a sale.

7 Likes

So are u suggesting that the 222 outperforms ndx2 282 w250dr. That is not what i think we are hearing

3 Likes

Based on feedback so far, my impressions from the Unity type sound (Atom HE) and, especially if I had speakers like e.g. the Dynaudio Heritage Special or similar, I would go for the NC222-250 over ndx2-282-250dr any day.

4 Likes

not what i read oftenā€¦i followed the entire main thread

3 Likes

A shame as with the current Uniti series - I can see why I suppose but it would be nice to have that option to use such devices as stepping stones.

Interesting as Iā€™ve never really been convinced by the presentation of the NAC 282 coming originally from a lowly NAC 72.

I plan to get the NAC 72 serviced when I go to Sheffield in a few weeks for a conference.

4 Likes

I would choose the NDX 2 since I believe it sounds better than the NSC 222. If you can go to a dealer and listen to the NDX 2 through the 202/250 combo then the NSC22 through the 250.

I have a XPS DR > NDX 2 > 282 > 250DR and it sounds awesome. I listened briefly to a NPX 300 > NSC222 > 250 (new model) yesterday and I liked the sound of my home system better. The disclaimer for me is that the speakers in the shop were stand mount vs my floor standing speakers. The system I listened only has been running for a week or so and plan to go back late February or March to give it another listen after it has had a chance to burn in.

The other point is that there may be a lot of gear being traded in and a you may be able to purchase a NDX 2 and preamp for a reasonable price.

The idea of going with a 2 or 3 box solution sounds fantastic. If I go in that direction, I want it to equal or improve my current systems sound at a minimal. I also do not want to spend a fortune to reach that goal. Trade in values for Classic may drop off and the cost of the new gear is higher currently and so far have not demonstrated an improvement in sound.

Early days and fun exploring the opportunitiesā€¦

Good luck with your decision.

9 Likes

I donā€™t doubt that you followed the thread, nor your impression/interpretation of the thread Rooster. Iā€™m just referring to what Iā€™ve been told by a credible and experienced Naim connoisseur who has done the comparison himself and also has some knowledge of Naimā€™s future plans, although heā€™s restricted from talking about it of course.

Anyway, if you consider that Naimā€™s preamp program has not changed or developed in the last 20 years, that Naimā€™s new Classic series are a result of the experiences from the Statment project and that Naim is now narrowing down its Classic range, thatā€™s not all too farfetched to believe that the 200 series together with 300 PS is above the 202, 282, 200, 250, Hicap and NDX2 and that the 300 series when it comes, will surpass the 252, 300, Supercap, XPS, 555, NDX2 and land just below the current 500 series in terms of performance. Just a thoughtā€¦:innocent:

3 Likes

That comports with the first hand impressions Iā€™m observing that indicate the 222/300/250 punch up past the NDX2/282/250DR. Nothing beats a demo and determining for yourself though.

First impression that I have had is that my XPS DR > NDX 2 > 282 > 250 DR does sound better than the NPX 300 > NCS200 > NAP 250 (2023) that I heard.

The new system only had a week or so of time on it and I will go back in a 3 or 4 weeks and have another listen.

For the pricing here in the US at $8999.00 USD per box I was hoping the three new boxes would exceed the capabilities of my current system. Perhaps it will when given enough time to settle in.

2 Likes

i will listen to the song " who is right, who is wrong? " by Al Jarreau and Randy Crawford, wonderful live album at Montreux. And will respond to you after. :grinning:

3 Likes

Does no one demo anymore and decideā€¦

6 Likes

I doā€¦
Donā€™t have Ā£Ā£Ā£ā€™s to cast around on assumptions :man_shrugging:t4:
Roll on February 16th :grin:

Itā€™s seems that very few tried the NSC222 as a preamp only (and also its phono board and headphones out).

Very curious about the Adikt/222 pairing ā€¦

As a streamer, most of people who did demos seems to decribe it more on the ND5XS2 side than the NDX2.

IME, the ND5XS2 is a gem and hard to beat for the price though.

M.

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a different sound so comparisons will likely highlight what folks prefer. Iā€™m enjoying the listener impressions so far, lots of variation as usual. Iā€™m in no hurry but I do enjoy building up some suspense. Iā€™m going to arrange a dealer demo this spring after some of the fanfare has settled down. Hell, Iā€™m more likely to grab a s/h 300DR at this point given the s/h prices.

3 Likes

My home demo in February will target the difference between NAC 202 with ND5 XS 2 and the NSC 222 specifically whilst maintaining the NAP 200DR as the power amplifier.
I will be very interested to hear the differenceā€¦

6 Likes

Seeing that someone has posted on another thread that they have a channel lost on their NDX2, almost certainly a relay failed. I wonder if Naim have taken the opportunity to ditch the particular relay and supplier with the new architecture?
Perhaps @110db can give an answer?

1 Like

Hi @Gazza,

We have changed to a new output mute scheme and we think it sounds better. It uses our input selection reed relay and a new armature relay. We do not use the previous change-over reed relays for mute anymore.

We have our input selection relay to connect the output signal when playing, these are best. Then when muting we use an armature relay, this is only used for shorting the signal and they are good at this. When playing music they do nothing.

3 Likes