NDX2/XPSDR is it good enough for a 252?

Seems to be better so far… everything’s a bit tighter and better placed… also has more ease and flow

2 Likes

My experience exactly. Do report back in a week or two!

One other thing, and i suspect you’re already well informed on this, is to have the S-XPS burndy cable nicely relaxed without any torsion (stress), so it’s not wanting to twist on itself, no sudden bends near both plugs and hanging freely so it’s not touching the floor or any other cables. I have found that to make a remarkable difference if patiently done correctly.

3 Likes

The burndy was brand new so I gave it another 10 minutes of massage when I swapped in the Powerline. I have the XPSDR on top of the brawn stack so it allows me to have it hang and not touch anything.

1 Like

I have a naked NDX in to my 252/300DR

It certainly does not lack any musical presence, it is not my main source only use for UpNP and I radio, I have no plans to add PSU or move to NDX2 any time soon

2 Likes

The Powerline was definitely a bit better than the av options Tibia12 plus. I’m trying the NDX2 bare now just to see how that works. It’s a secondary source to my LP12 and I want to see how much I miss the XPSDR. If at all.

2 Likes

Is the NDX2 ground switch set to chassis?

Do you have any other sources with signal ground connected to earth going into your preamp ?

This level of source needs a great interconnect

Try one from vertere or even a Superlumina

@Analogmusic Yes the NDX2 is set to chassis. No other sources besides LP12. I’m using a Naim Hi-Line interconnect.

I second trying a different interconnect cable, when I had a NDS I was not totally happy with the sound but when I swapped out the Hi-Line to a Super Lumina it all clicked into place. It needed careful cable dressing which surprised me at the time.

But before that I would leave it for at least a few more weeks weeks before you start to experiment.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know what it is you do not like had expected more of. and what you are using where the music is comming from. and how you are comparing streaming vs tt.
Claus

Did we get spooked by this thread with a 252 ready to rack? Or was it just general upgradeitis? :laughing:

Anyway, we’ve traded XPSDR for a 555PSDR and it’s in the build queue.

So now I guess we’ll be comparing NDX2/555PSDR to NDX2/nDAC/555PSDR in our own system/room once burnt in. Plenty threads on DR PSU on nDAC but we’ll always trust our own ears.

I wonder if this will move the goalposts slightly now, since if we can’t hear an appreciable difference (or even prefer NDX2) we could move on nDAC and live with NDX2/555 and maybe an end game separate DAC is pushed out (or off the table). An NDX2/555PSDR as a transport only would make little sense, but maybe trade 555 for DAC and keep NDX2 as transport is where we’ll end up longer term.

2 Likes

For the long term I think you should keep the 555PS so you can use it with the NDAC if that’s where you are heading. Maybe free up a bit of cash by trading the NDX2 for an ND5XS2 if you will only use it as s transport.

1 Like

If only domestic harmony was so simple, and cost effective, to achieve.

The NDX2 has a remote control and so makes an acceptable addition. The ND5XS2 however does not.

This argument has been had and lost, hence the purchase of the NDX2 as transport. To be fair I didn’t fight too hard since the NDX2 gives us more options.

To be far if you enjoy what vinyl does and have a good turntable it will always make a sound that your ndx2 is never going to reach.
In a few weeks time, if you keep using it, your brain will start to adjust to it and it will probably grow on you more, but then play a record and suddenly it once again will sound 2nd best.

But its nice to have 2 sources that offer different things, each has its benefits and disadvantages and you can choose which one to wgat mood or time you have.
The only problem really is if you find the streamer is just not getting used or even the other way round, as then its either time to go looking for better or sell the gear that’s not being used.

1 Like

I enjoyed it more with the 282. Not sure if the exuberance of the 282 gave it that little kick it needed or not. On the other hand the LP12 is in another stratosphere with the 252.

It’s hard to compare vinyl and streaming. I focus on engagement and involvement and how the music affects me. With the 252 it’s lost that.

I have a qnap with asset for ripped cd’s and am using Qobuz. As far as the network l, it goes modem to blue cisco switch to ee8 to qnap and streamer. All the Ethernet cables are Blue Jeans cat6 a.

I run ND5XS2/DC1/nDAC/555PS (non DR) into 552 (non DR)/500 (non DR)/DBL. Great match.

4 Likes

So far the bare NDX2, while not as good as with the XPSDR, is more raw, fun and engaging. I will give it a few weeks and put back in the XPSDR.

Depending on how that goes I’ll either keep it or trade it for a Rega Aura.

1 Like

@IainO Sorry about that! I hate to be the cause of upgraditis. I would have gone for the 555 myself if the NDX2 was my main source. That box is magic,

It’s been our goal to gradually “max out” the classic naim line and we’re almost there, just 300DR to add in future. Upgradeitis will stop at that point I hope.

555 streamer, 552 pre and 500 power are a step beyond what is sensible for us in financial terms at £66k new.

I’m still wondering if I could resist a nice pre-loved 552 should the opportunity present itself…