Need to identify Phono and AUX Board for NAC 72

Agreed. IMO, all the connectors (DIN & BNC) on the back look rather cruddy. And given there are also boards missing, its a definite No, from me… :thinking:

Factor in what is missing and it will need a service. Even if the exterior was near mint, I’d be at £100 max.
I’ve recently bought two very nice near mint and boxed, with all the bits 72s. I’ve had them serviced and am very happy with their sound.
This one appears to have some " history". If you ever want to drive a headphone amp you’ll need the buffer boards.

@robert_h
@IanRobertM

for the condition of the DIN socket which may be dirty, I think it can be cleaned because this item has not been used for a long time (I have tested it with the NAP 140) and sounds good, there are no issues.

for the condition of the board that is installed, the condition is like that, it is not easy to get other options here and in my opinion, this item is well maintained in the sense that there is no modification / originality is still well preserved, the matter of the board might be from the previous owner it could be removed, but according to I didn’t break / modify this NAC72

NAC72 is sold in a package with NAP140 and NA CDX CD Player, all conditions are still very good and complete all with accessories

back to my question in the image above, is my conclusion correct?

@Thegreatroberto

I have tested this NAC72 with NAP140 and CDX, with your offer of 100 pounds, you will be laughed at by the seller.
It should be considered that the missing board factor is not something that really the NAC72 is not worth buying, where only 2 BNC inputs do not work because there is no board.
It’s not easy to get Naim here like in your country, and I think it’s not quite right to judge goods from a distance
I didn’t say this because I wanted to buy it, but I think it’s too extreme an assessment is not quite right either

You’ll be at least £150 for the phono and the other boards so figure in an average current selling price in a favourite auction site of £350-£450, so if you can buy the unit for £250-£350 you might be on to a winner.

Figure in the cost of a service (circa £180) and that will help with a value.

1 Like

@Musicianandteacher
The NAC72 + NAP140 + CDX package sells for £ 1600, what do you think?

Not sure how much a CDX sells for but, if you hunt hard enough, you’ll get a NAP72 with cards for £400 and potentially as low as £300 for a NAP140 - both probably unserviced for that price. Add the CDX to that - check eBay recent sold prices is a good place to start.

IMO - YMMV - thats too much.

72 and 140 unserviced on ebay are about £400 each. Pay a bit more ,say £500 if boxed with original snaic ( 140 only), manual etc. Mine were unserviced, but that also meant they’d not been buggered with. Both sent to Class A for a proper first service in 23 years.
But these are UK prices. Perhaps pre lockdown they were a bit lower.

@IanRobertM
@Thegreatroberto

estimate, what is the price for the three units?

Sorry, I don’t think that’s allowed, on the Naim Forum.

@Richard.Dane - ??

I don’t think anyone on here is selling anything (I certainly hope not, anyway!), and I think asking about what would be a fair price to pay is OK. But much will spend on the country and many other factors, so I don’t know how useful it will be to the OP.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

Yes, I just want to know a little about price considerations, it does not mean either buying or selling transactions.
Because if there is consideration, I will be sure to make a decision, at least when I start building a Naim set.
Indeed, the price benchmark for each country is different, my consideration is the approximate local price in the UK as a country that has a lot of Naim products.

thank you

As already recommended, search eBay recently sold/completed and that will show you the true price the units are selling for.

Yes, you are correct.
Additionally - both tape 1 & 2 will work as inputs, but not as outputs. So you won’t be able to use a headphone amp or recording device.
As said above, the phono & aux inputs can be used with a record deck if suitable phono cards are installed. Or line level inputs with 326/328 boards (or by bridging the correct pins).

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

My 72 has been having trouble lately and I’m working with the US distributor (Focal Naim America) to send it in for its 1st service since 1990. Are all boards (729 input buffer, 321 gain, 325 relay, 328/2 variable and 323/5 K phono) typically recapped during service as the circuitry reside on these daughter boards rather than the main PCB? They’ve also been kind enough to offer converting both pairs of BNC’s to WBT-0210 RCA jacks.

Any caps are replaced. Along with testing and cleaning of the pots.
Despite naims insistence that BNC is better, a lot have these changed out for RCA at service. I still gave the original BNCs, so they could be replaced in the future.
Most of the service work is actually associated with the daughter boards. There are a couple of components on the main board that are changed as well.

1 Like

@NeilS
I’ve heard that for AUX input it can be enough just to put a jumper, is this true? how is the procedure? whether by leaving the PIN section on the variable input above without the Variable aux board, the BNC variable input becomes fixed aux?
I saw a jumper on the main board

Yes, see my post(s) above. You just need some hook up wire with some suitable gold plated clips soldered at each end (cartridge clips should do the trick). Then follow the track shown on the NA326 boards I posted above, which shows you which pins are connected on each channel.

2 Likes

the buffer board finally found but still missing Phono MC and Variable Aux boards though…

Contact Darran at Class a as mentioned several times - he stocks them.

1 Like