Neil Peart RIP

If I remember rightly there was a top (?) 30 songs edition of TFRS Every year and No 1 each time was Shine on you crazy diamond

1 Like

I remember Stairway to Heaven being the number one several times

RIP Neil, Rush have been my favourite band for over forty years. Saw them on most UK tours from 1980 onwards.Even in soulless arenas they they never failed to thrill.

Tommy Vance was the original TV on the radio.
IIRC in the early 80s,when I was in my late teens, Friday rock show Top ten usually included, roughly in the correct order.

Yes - Starship Trooper
ELP - Karn Evil Nine?
Genesis - Supperā€™s Ready
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Rush- Xanadu
Pink Floyd - Shine on you Crazy Diamond
Deep Purple - Child in Time
Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven

PS. I donā€™t remember ever getting the Friday night connection correct.

PPS This is my first post on the forum

6 Likes

Welcome Degsy.

1 Like

I remember Supperā€™s Ready being No.1 on a couple of occasions.

Memory is a tricky thing. Xanadu, Awaken and Supperā€™s Ready pop up a lot in my memories. But my brain has probably made connections that didnā€™t originally exist.

The Friday Night Rock Show and TOGWT were the nearest thing Iā€™ve ever had to a religion. Apart from music in general.

Sad news, hadnā€™t heard. Virtuoso rock drumming at its very best. I shall bung on La Villa Strangiato shortlyā€¦

1 Like

Welcomes :wave:
I always looked forward to the Friday Rock Show with a TDK -AD90 at the ready. Iā€™d forgotten about the Friday night connection which started with theme one by the Van de Graaff Generator. Happy memories. I never made the connection eitherā€¦

3 Likes

Theme One

Since The Friday Rock Show has been mentioned, here is a genuine Connection posed by Tommy Vance, circa 1979

What is the connection between these three songs ? (no internet back then, so no cheating)
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

I think it could be that the tracks donā€™t appear on the albums with the same title.

Definitely true for Led Zep and ELP, not sure about Queen, not a massive fan Iā€™m afraid.

Think youā€™re correct as Sheer Heart Attack is on News of the World

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.