Neotech NEET-1008 and Audioquest Vodka

Hi everyone,
I’m currently using some Belden Catsnake (floating) and Viablue EP7 built by myself with Telegartner connectors. I’m doing some test these days. Catsnake is a very good cable, warm and with prat, however in some track is a bit too much congested and slow. Bass is good but too much. Viablue is airier but not focused as I would like. I’m evaluating to start with some audiophile LAN cable, based on my budget I was looking to Neotech NEET-1008 and Audioquest Vodka. Any suggestions on the sound signature of both cables compared to Catsnake and Viablue EP7? Thank you so much for your feedback!

At the moment I need 3 cables. Fritz Box->switch / NAS->Switch / Wall plug ->NDX2

1 Like

Try Chord C-Stream too. Comparatively cheap and, compared to Clearway, Shawline, Epic & Signature, the best in my experience.

G

3 Likes

You can spend a lot of money for nothing on so called audiophile (boutique) ethernet cables.
In addition to the C-Stream as suggested by Graeme, I would add you can’t go far wrong with the old forum favourite, BlueJeans Cables Cat-6 or Cat-6a.

3 Likes

yep, the bluejeans recommended above are very good.
best i had so far, my favourite choice.
chord c-stream didn‘t do any good when tested here, more the opposite…
but during a visit at a friends house (linn klimax hub in organiked 350s) we tried some cat cables. supra, bluejeans, bluejeans stripped (very good), others and his own aq vodka.
the best by a margin was the vodka! so i am curious, too.
will check out the vodka when he visits me and also the neotech if possible to get one for testing.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have a BJC Cat 6a here but found it a touch boring after a while. It dulls the listening experience ime.

Not very rational, I know.

G

2 Likes

Hi G, everything’s irrational in this game … YMMV … :crazy_face:

I tried BJC Cat 6a plus a few others, including investigating screened & unscreened, & opted for the MeiCord Opal Cat 6.
Unfortunatly they’re no longer available, but awaiting (a long time now) the Opal II
I still have MeiCords from NAS to switch to NDX (& don’t have any wish to change them)
plus BJC Cat 6 from router to switch.

2 Likes

Hi :smiley:

I have written and advised about this Neotech NEET-1008 Silver before.
A member here bought it on my recommendations.
An incomparably good ethernet-cable for relatively little money,.1m costs £266.

For comparison,.it can be said that 0.75m Audioquest Vodka costs £571 today in Sweden.

This Neotech NEET-1008 Silver contributes to a completely different musical experience than what AQ Vodka can deliver.
AND,.Blue Jeans Cable cat6a just sounds dull in my system compared to Neotech’s Silver.

1 Like

Peder, can you please qualify that last line by telling us what Naim streamer you have in your system.

1 Like

Which CatSnake are you using? Cat5e or 6a? From what you write, possibly the former…

1 Like

It might have been me but I returned it. For the price I’d say it’s a great cable though. But super stiff which can be a pain…

1 Like

Hi Peder,
I’m very interested in Neet-1008, however I only need 0,5/0,6m and I fear that its stiff maybe a problem to bend the cable properly in my small space. From the sound point of view, in what parameters Vodka and Neotech are different? Which is the smoother and more extended in low and high range, and what the more direct sound in Naim style?

Hi Michael,
I have Catsnake 6a. With iFi Power elite in my QNap Nas the Catsnake was ok but when I change the iFi Power with a LPS the sound became a little more warmer and with more detail and I prefer a little more the Viablue wich is airier, however I like something in the middle between the warm side and prat of catsnake maintaining the airier of Viablue.
What’s the solution? Probably change my XPSDR with 555DR :joy:.

1 Like

I have all BJC Cat6a in my system apart from a 1m Neotech NEET copper Ethernet cable from EE8 to ND5XS2.

I am very happy with it.

(I avoid silver cables.)

I also found Catsnake gave too much bass in my system.

2 Likes

AQ Vodka is a little more “straight in your face” with energy and drive…
BUT,.compared to Neotech’s NEET-1008 Silver, I experience it as more “stiff” and not as flexible musically.
It doesn’t touch you as much musically as Neotech Silver does.
Neotech Silver feels more “musically right” in my music-system,.and also in other people’s systems where we have compared.

I have sold my three AQ Vodkas and replaced them with Neotech NEET-1008 Silver.
I still have an AQ Diamond,.which goes between the incoming fiberbox and router, otherwise Neotech Silver.

The last 20 cm on each side are softer to make it easier to connect,.see picture.

2 Likes

Well,.it’s stiff, definitely…
But very good,.it even beats my Audioquest Diamond which costs much much more.

Hello Mike :smiley:

Previously I had NDS,.but now I have Innous Statement.
What we have tested Blue Jeans Cable cat6a against in our systems are,.Audioquest Vodka and Diamond.
As well as Neotech’s NEET-1008 Silver.

2 Likes

Have you tried WiFi? Sometimes the simplest option sounds best !

1 Like

Actually I’ve never tried the WiFi option.
I should test this option!!! Thanks.

A friend has just recently borrowed Vodka to compare against his Belden Catsnake. He’s got it for a while, so I asked to borrow it for a few days. I’ve tried Vodka before but it didn’t really gel with me. I’m also using Catsnake. However, I’ve since replaced my Node/Ndac with an ND555 and two supplies and thought Vodka might be worth a re-try as it gets a lot of good press. That’s the background, so here’s my thoughts…

Bright and tight are the first words I used to describe the sound. The cable has had some pre-burn in, plus I’ve also left it running with music for a couple of days. I found the sound a little fatiguing, which I think was to do with the slight treble brightness. There was a track I played that has a hi-hat and cymbals being played along with some vocals. The hi-hat just seemed to overwhelm and dominate the vocals. Switching back to the Catsnake and the vocals clearly dominated. I also noticed the upper bass seemed to be emphasised compared to the same tracks with Catsnake. I just found it a bit odd and a bit annoying after a while.

Strangely, Vodka sounded very good at studio recorded sounds but poor on live recordings. The Catsnake was the complete opposite, giving a very real and believable live sound but not quite as good as Vodka on the simple studio stuff. I do think the Vodka may just have the edge on very low bass control, which helps with studio recordings but I’m not convinced it’s a good as Catsnake with everything else. The Catsnake has a lovely delicacy, which the Vodka completely misses. I’m definitely finding the Vodka a bit brash after such a long time with Catsnake.

When the Vodka is in the system I find myself itching to hear the same track with Catsnake. When the Catsnake is in the system I just want to leave things alone, which sums things up for me. My friend now has the Vodka back in his system and I’m happily using Catsnake again.

I’m also open to trying NEET 1008 to see what this might bring?

1 Like

Comparing cables was the most difficult part of my system building. The conclusion i came to was i was system tuning to my room acoustics and my ears. Thankfully my dealer lent me some of the cables……otherwise it would have been a poor experience.

2 Likes