New Asset UPnP update

John…apologies for asking the obvious but you have tried clearing the database and re-scanning all folders?

Yes… I’ve rescanned/refreshed the entire library at least three times. Really strange problem… doesn’t prevent listening, of course… it just doesn’t have things looking the way I want them to.

Have you tried the ‘rebuild music database’ option in the Naim app? You shouldn’t normally need to, but it might just sort it if the problem is only seen in the Naim app.

1 Like

No you’re on the wrong thread line.
Come down the home page 8 lines to “Asset UPnP”, you can open up your own new thread title .

1 Like

I see you posted on Asset OK
Good post, the pictures say a thousand words
Spoon &/or Peter normally pop up with a response or better still an answer pretty quick.

1 Like

Thanks again for the suggestion!

1 Like

Hi again John, looking at your pictures on Asset forum, I noticed your iPhone screen shot has all the items in alphabetical order.
New to app 5.18 is an A-Z option, when in UPnP if you touch A-Z - the actual A-Z, not the A-Z line, you get a pop up menu that gives you a choice of Alphabetical or Server Default options.
It doesn’t match up your browse tree selection but its pretty close

@Mike-B @JohnT21
I replied on Asset forum. I have the same issue.
I found a trick but it’s not convenient

Just saw your replies and posted on the Asset forum too… I knew I couldn’t be the only one with this issue…
I was aware of the A-Z option sorting option… which does seem to play around with the order of things, but still does match the browse tree as configured, unfortunately.
Haven’t tried Julien’s solution yet… I’ll have to investigate and see if I can find the file to copy/paste.
Anyway, the problem is out there now… hopefully, there’s an official quick fix… or something in the works.

Yes, that solved the same issue for me. Having done the Naim App update to 5.18 a few days ago, and found a revised listing order on the iPad, etc., I knew it wasn’t a result of the Asset f/w update but it took some thinking!

As for the Asset update re: QNAP … aaarrrgghhh! I’m grateful to Guinnless for his guidance re: copying the Browse tree which worked wonderfully well but why … oh why … do “they” have to mess with things!

Prior to v.6 I found that after I had done a complete re-scan I had to perform a restart of the QNAP NAS in order to ensure every album, etc. was showing. v.6 solved this issue … only now, v.7 has recreated it. :frowning_face:

Also, the scan time has lengthened considerably (I have a library >75,000 tracks (>10,000 albums) - which I’m forever fiddling with, hence like to perform re-scans regularly).

Oh well …

Note that how you’ve tagged your music in part might dictate how you want to configure Asset. Specifically, do you use Artist, or Album Artist? I’m not consistent with that, and so things can get a little wonky.

(This isn’t a Roon thread, but that’s something Roon does well so long as you like how it does it; it’s immune to the above. Whereas with Asset, it really only tells you what you have in the database, so it’s relatively important to have your metadata in very good order and CONSISTENT.)

1 Like

Another fresh re-install (after deleting Asset and the dbpoweramp folder in the Library) is still not making a difference for me. My changes are not reflected in the Naim app (whether or not I choose to sort A-Z or by the server default).
Honestly, I mostly just use “Folders & Filename Browsing” (as my tagging is pretty meticulous). If I could at least get that to appear at the top of my browse tree, I’d be satisfied. As it is now, I have to dig down into “Additional” to get to it.

There is a 7.1 beta 1 freshly released, browse tree is fixed on my side

3 Likes

This worked for me. On opening the Naim app Asset now defaults to an A-Z view. Pressing the A-Z on the top right allows you to select Server Default which then presents the Tree as you have set it up in the Asset set up. All is as it should be once again.

Yes but other users please note, Julien’s problem was specific to Asset on Mac, all other variants, QNAP, Synology, Linux etc did not have that problem, this release is a beta maybe most will leave it until the full release.

1 Like

Knowing the issue has been addressed and resolved is great, but yes, I am waiting for the full release before installing.

For Mac OS Users: I was running Asset UPnP R6.6 on Mac OS and also encountered many problems when upgrading to R7.0 (initial menu choices, browse tree, color background, some album artwork). After several frustrating hours trying to fix and feeling a bit sick, I remembered good ol’ Time Machine. So, I reverted to a Time Machine backup of the “.plist” file. However, that did not solve the problem until I uninstalled R7.0 and reinstalled R6.6 from Time Machine. So now I’ll just wait for next version and guard my .plist file with my life!

Sorry to be thick but where is the [Edit Browse Tree as plain text] option?
Also any idea why max MP3 set to 256 as the default?

That’s a Windows Dialog Box so obviously you have Asset running on Windows. You need to visit the web page if there is one for Windows, I’m not sure.

The edit browse tree is an option on the Linux variants which are configured by a web browser interface which is somewhat crude. The windows version is nicer in this regard.

To edit the browse tree in Windows you use the 3 buttons underneath the Browse tree - Add New Container, Restore Default and Remove Selected.

These controls will allow you to trim it down (remove selected) and add branches to the tree. The Selected field and A to Z and No Track Listing checkboxes are used to configure the behaviour of each node. If you have a look at some that are already setup you will see how these work.

Make small changes at a time and review the results, if all goes horribly wrong the Restore Default option will get you back to the status quo.