New dealer needed

And not a trivial trip from Trimley to Ireland and backšŸ‘

Interesting, I have spoken to Ian Hammond in the past and he was a big Meridian fan but much less complimentary about other brands. I think they have only recently became a Naim dealer so I guess they have had time to re-evaluate.

As far as East Anglia is concerned Basically Sound are a long term Naim dealer and very helpful. If you want to compare Naim products to those from other manufacturers then Criterion in Cambridge are also very good as well as they stock a wide range of products. Obviously the guys at Signals are very helpful as well.

I can only speak as I find. I live in France and Naim dealers are thin on the ground. With the covid restrictions of the past 18 months plus the difficulties caused to transport of goods due to Brexit, Ian was one of the few dealers who was able or willing to help. Not all Naim dealers put themselves in the same position when approached.

Fair enough. I have come across a few dealers over the years who have become much more complimentary towards Naim once they start stocking it! Indeed once I auditioned some speakers from a non-Naim dealer who spent much of the audition telling me how much he didnā€™t like Naim products and that I should change. I asked him whether he would stock Naim products if given the opportunity. He said they sold really well and he certainly would! I guess at the end of the day dealers have to make living like all of us. It might be advisable though for dealers not to be rude about products they donā€™t stock just in case circumstances change.

1 Like

I actually find it the other way around, as some pre-loved kit is listed at punchy prices (IMV) and by calling you screen e-mail bidders - and, with pre-loved, thereā€™s always the potential to be flexible/take a trade-in.

What is the phrase ā€˜everything in life is a negotiationā€™?

1 Like

I bought my current focal speakers from Acoustica in about 2004. Iā€™d been visiting occasionally to admire the equipment.
They were always courteous and the person I always spoke with (canā€™t remember his name) always remembered everything we had discussed and so advised from there - always felt a very personal encounter and I always learnt a lot from the chats.
Now living in Swansea I did call Acoustica when upgrading CD player although a different person, very helpful, and open discussion - gave advice and did not chase me up for a sale (bought locally in Audio T instead).

1 Like

Interested to see the feedback on Acoustica - I have a great relationship with the new owner (well main owner, Pete, who worked there for donkeys years for the previous owner, Geoff). I never quite clicked with Geoff (though I did well enough from our interactions - I am not complaining about him in any way, but communicating with him did feel a bit awkward at times), but I mostly dealt with Pete anyway as he lives 50 miles nearer to me than Chester is (I am just outside Preston).

When we were experiencing some tricky issues with the 808s (which it transpired arose from the early super lumina speaker cable being used - I have a new set now) I always had every confidence that Pete would sort it out, even though the problems were happening around Christmas and with lockdown

Geoff - thanks that was his name.
he did ask once If I played in an orchestra as I was standing in between the speakers facing out as the music played. he explained he had seen a number of orchestra members listen like this as this is how they hear it when playingā€¦

2 Likes

That echoes my experience with Acoustica. And Iā€™ve found Pete a really top guy, ready to go that extra mile. Heā€™s made several trips to chez nous, even though Iā€™m over 30 miles in the opposite direction from Preston. Iā€™m very happy with my current systems so not in purchase mode at the moment, but would readily return to Acoustica if I were and they stocked what I was after.

Roger

3 Likes

Lots of good recommendations here so far. As you are in Essex I can put a plug in for Billy Vee. I have been with them for over 30 years and they have been consistently excellent. Just pop under the Blackwell Tunnel and turn right!

1 Like

I collected my Auralic Altair G2.1 from there this week. Did you get the other one?

1 Like

Sure did :grin: Just waiting for the ATC SCM40a speakers to arrive on Tuesday to complete the new system. Are you enjoying the G2.1?

Not even plugged it in yet.
Waiting for the Burmester 036 to arrive from Mike and the chaps before I set it up.

Interesting to hear your experience. Iā€™ve had my Auralic Vega G2 and ATC SCM40As for nearly a couple of years now and they have great synergy. Iā€™m really sold on active speakers and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Roger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.