New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Hi Mark - I’d suggest rebooting everything (including the TV) in case there is an HDMI ‘handshake’ error somewhere (I had issues myself the other day when our TV did a software update!)

1 Like

Bit the bullet and hit the update button for my NDX2.

All good :+1:

I deleted and then downloaded a fresh version of the Naim App, this sorted the issue and there also appears to be a significant improvement all round including sound quality.

Hi Richard,

I just moved to the new Release firmware and the Release app could not find my Nova (although it was already playing Tidal via Roon). I had not seen the help advice you just posted, although I was aware of tips provided by others (including @davidhendon ), so I ensured that Location Services were enabled and re-started the app … no joy.

I’m writing because my next step was to use the “+” sign in the Rooms screen and I added my Nova directly via the IP address (scroll to bottom of Add Rooms page and select “Add manually by IP address”). Success.

I’m posting here, since this might be a worthwhile step to add in your help suggestions page, perhaps as the new number 3 (after “force close and re-open app” but before “reboot the Naim system”)?

Either way, reporting a successful exit to a quirky discovery issue. Thanks.

Regards alan

To be even more specific: great improvement especially at lower volumes. Before I always had to increase the volume at a relatively high level to get “satisfaction” meaning when the sonic picture would hang together…Now I have the same result at much lower level.

2 Likes

My only concern would be whether if your streamer was given a different ip address through DHCP from the router, would discovery by the app fail again?

Best

David

True… but if it works, you’re good and if it fails you continue the steps in order? I realize it’s a more technical step, since you need an IP address to try … and although there are lots of ways to find it, perhaps it could be left as an optional step only for those who know how to find it?

Thanks David, you’ve probably touched on the reason this step wasn’t originally proposed! My own disappointment with the failure after granting permission for Naim app to access location services (again, post iOS 14.4 update) was real: I had no discovery issue with just the iOS update, only after both that and the update to production firmware. As I say, a quirky corner case!

Hope you are well!

Regards alan

I am well thanks (now I’ve stopped struggling with MP3TAG on my iPad)!

It is interesting that deleting and reinstalling the app fixes the location problem. It’s something that the app keeps as data that is the problem, as deleting and reinstalling merely flushed out the stored data.

Anyway hopefully the Naim team will work out what it is. It’s interesting to know that the issue isn’t just about location services. I wonder whether toggling them off, closing the app, and toggling them on again might do it. And of course it could be an IOS bug rather than a Naim app bug.

Best

David

1 Like

Worth noting I had zero trouble doing the update on my iPhone on iOS 14.4. Plenty more reports of seamless updates, too. so this one could be a head-scratcher.

1 Like

That didn’t work for me… although as I did not completely exit “Settings” perhaps the toggle was not completed and this is a bad data point…

Regards alan

(Thought of you yesterday while reading an article in Digital Trends about replacing a laptop with an iPod Pro since it now has a “fully fledged” file system… not!!!)

I find that when I’ve installed new firmware and the app is open, it doesn’t find the streamer. However, if I swipe the app off and re-open it, it always does the trick.

Yes I also had no discovery problems on my iPhone or iPad on 14.4 or 14.4.1

But on the other hand, updating my Nova failed and I had to pull the plug after half an hour. The second time was ok though. Very odd.

Best

David

There are so many variables. My Sony TV had a firmware update recently that caused all sorts of issues - all fine now, thankfully!

1 Like

@Naim.Marketing just to inform you…

• Fixed: Occasional buzz sound when waking from standby on digital input
  • Fixed: Occasional pop from speaker output at boot up

…isn‘t fixed in my case. My Nova just woke up from standby by HDMI ARC CEC signal and my loudspeaker did pop again :man_shrugging:t2:

Sorry to hear that - as ever, would recommend you log it with support@naimaudio.com, including Serial Number of your unit, and which TV you use. Software team can then get investigating…

Ok, I will do.

1 Like

Hi all,
I upgraded from v 3.6.0 (5009) to 3.6.0 (5106).
Still great sound. Was the (5009) a beta (test)version? I’m not in the beta test group (yet).
I got it a couple of months ago from @Steve and it fixed my Qobuz ‘only playing one track and stop’ issue .

Regards
Gerben.

Yes

Thank you,
clear😊

Thanks. It all makes sense Richard.