New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

…I steer-clear of any specific feature being tested or results ongoing on the Beta testing, but mentioning you personally like one thing or another does not seem to be betraying confidences …I hope!

DB.

Yes, quite right DB and I have to say that this kind of ‘unable to stop the track’ experience happened frequently before updating FW and I mentioned it in this thread mostly to report a ‘definitely not worse than before’ kind of experience to counterbalance some of reports of negative SQ effect from the new update.

FWIW, I eked out another 60 min window for listening and played Perlman/Ozawa’s Stravinsky Violin Concerto. I credit both Violinist and Conductor here because this work is a prime example of the need for soloist and orchestra to work together to make it really ‘happen’. I had 60 minutes tonight and again wanted to listen to a few things, but ended up just listening to the Stravinsky twice over. Fabulous!

4 Likes

Discussion in the beta forum stays there, as per your NDA. Obviously you can discuss the firmware now it has been released.

1 Like

Also. If functionality improves, your enjoyment of the product improves and that can also positively impact on perceptions of sound quality. Won’t be the case for all ears and all systems, but could be for some

Thomas for me 3.6 is the best sounding release thus far for me. I really like the overall balance of the sound and the way that instruments are accurately portrayed. The fact that I sat here this morning with a smile on my face while listening says it all really. Very pleased

4 Likes

Strings are rendered better now with 3.6 - I had been purchasing violoncello music (Anja Lechner) after the Beta prior to this release emerged. Everything rapturously came to life on material I had played before and made me appreciate it so much more. :bear:

DB.

1 Like

Fair enough. I will reacquaint myself with the Beta forum rules.

The last thing I want to do is contravene the rules, I was just a bit confused as to where the line is drawn, as the SQ and addressing rebooting in the last Beta is openly discussed on here without moderation.

We possibly need a little more consistency in applying the rules.

My Atom rocks with the new download. Best amp i ever bought.

1 Like

Updated Atom today and ND555 also (that might have been yesterday). For both of them “room not found” after the update - not happened before with ND555 updates (not done Atom update before). Had to go through the add new device and then pair / press home on remote within x cm of the screen. And then it worked (had tried turning phone off/on, 555ps off/on. Can report that turning 552ps off / on by mistake had no effect either :grin:). Anyway got there after a bit of a faff

Just upgraded after holding off for a while. The installation was kind of frustrating as I needed to power down, power down the router, power down the IPad and finally I had to reinstall the app on my iPad to regain the connection. Should be a bit more straight forward. Soundwise I can’t say too much as it’s just running again since 5 minutes, but sounds seems to be ok on first impressions. Will get back on this with a bit more extensive listening.

1 Like

Sorry but I highly doubt that this is the case.

Naim could definitely update features and software without changing the sound. They will have control over everything. If the sound is changing then they are changing the filter in the dac software. This will definitely be intentional.

3 Likes

Thomas, I agree with DB and Michael that this is the best release yet for bass clarity anc extension, PRaT in general, and for instrumental tone and texture. A good step forward.

3 Likes

Ok thanks. I’ll need to take a look at that.

HDMI arc volume control on my Atom no longer works from my TV remote after this update. Worked fine since purchase. Quite disappointing as we use this all the time. LG TV.

1 Like

So do we know or are allowed to know whether or not sound signature is purposefully altered in the update? @Naim.Marketing
Just curious, I think it sounds fine.

1 Like

Yes I agree. This is also what I felt “immediately”. Great update!

Updated the Nova and NDX2 successfully and the SQ is top notch.

The iPad app couldn’t find the NDX2 after the update, though the iPhone was okay. I had to reinstall the app on the iPad and reload the Tidal account there. Otherwise all great.

2 Likes

I was wondering about this too. Would love to know. Regardless I’ll upgrade today but I was not assuming that there would be sonic changes but now I’ll be looking for them and as a result I’ll probably hear them. Might be no difference of course!

Clare said Sonic the Hedgehog signed off the sound, so you have to assume the sound changes other wise why is Sonic involved?

1 Like

When any change to product is made, no matter how minor, whether physical or in firmware, the sound performance is always checked right at the end, and must be signed off by Roy.

Such is the resolution at this level, any changes to anything, no matter how small, and even including firmware, can potentially have an effect on sound. AFAIK Naim have found ways to tweak this though, so performance can be maintained or even improved where possible. There are some very experienced and long-standing Naim “ears” in R&D, not least Roy’s own, after all he has been the ultimate sound judge of every bit of Naim kit to leave the factory since the '80s.

5 Likes