New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Just about to hit the upgrade button on my ND5XS2, back in five

Well 7min, all done, very smooth.

4 Likes

Because it is nothing or very little to do with the encoded data, but can include the coupling interaction loading of the cables associated with the high frequency analogue serial line switching voltages being conducted through the twisted pairs… which because the Ethernet cable is not a perfect transmission can cause a reactive load. This in itself can couple into chassis and ground planes. This will typically vary from cable type to cable type.

I have posted a few times an engineering design white paper from Texas Instruments on how to mitigate the effects of such issues when designing sensitive Ethernet devices.

3.6.0 updated perfectly on my NDX2… Ethernet connected.

3 Likes

Thanks for the repeat explanation which I vaguely recall (especially the TI link) - just saying that so many things ‘on the face of it, surely shouldn’t affect SQ’ but they do!

1 Like

So when u do the firmware update (ndx2/555ps) no need to power anything off? Leave all up and running when u update?
David

You click the update button in the app, drink a cup of tea and wait. It will download the update, then the NDX2 will restart, maybe more than once. The screen will change a few times and after a few minutes it will eventually be back at the home screen. Have patience and let it finish what it does. Leave the 555 alone.

At the end may need to restart the app so that it rediscovers the NDX2. See posts above.

(If nothing happens after 15 minutes or longer, eventually you will want to power cycle the 555, but it will most likely not come to that)

1 Like

Did update- the ndx2 screen is showing the 8 icons ie settings, now playing, Spotify, favourites, etc
It is stuck on this and nothing else has changed. No music obviously

Working now…

Thanks for that. Rebooting the Atom didn’t work alone but unplugging the tv for a while did the trick. :+1: Thank goodness, if my wife has to use more than one remote she has a breakdown :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

NDX2 and Atom updated without any issues. Thanks

This morning I updated my Uniti Star. It was an interesting process watching the progress bar and hearing the Star re-start many times over a 10 minute period. The Star became visible in the Naim App before it was ready to go but I resisted the temptation to click on it. After a short while the display on the Star looked “normal” and everything worked perfectly. Quite pleased with the process and looking forward to the “fixes”.

No changes relating to sound were made in this release.

Updated my Nova and apps successfully yesterday.

Today I noticed the Nova display does not show volume changes anymore. No volume level numbers displayed. Instead the display keeps showing the playing album cover.

The lights on the volume knob do function however.

Same for volume change via
Nova volume knob
Naim app
Roon

Did not yet reboot the Nova to see if this resolves the problem. Will do this later.

I have experienced something similar. A reboot did not solve it.
I happens when I switch between the sources on my QLED tv several times (no volume numbers visible). I also noticed that after a while the nova can become unresponsive to the QLED remote. Nova remote and app are still working. Changing the source on the Nova, e.g. hdmi → internetradio or track → hdmi restores the connection with the QLED smart remote.

SouthPaw, is this something that has just happened following the latest update?

Hi Richard, yes it worked fine until the latest update (nova owner since december 2019). Expect something timing / event handling related. Hope that helps. atb, SP

Ok, thanks.could you let Naim support know the details.

Have you tried the factory reset? ( it’s different from the reboot).

1 Like

First random reboot with firmware 3.6.0.

Here we go again :expressionless:

But, the ND555 never sounded so good! :notes: :musical_note:
Took the afternoon off, and am listening to some symphonic music and voices (will report later the perceived changes).

2 Likes

Sounds fab :+1: