New firmware update

Hi all.

Whilst i feel your pain being an owner of a ND555 and having experienced the dreaded reboot. I know that Naim are working jolly hard to ensure that this problem gets resolved. This will take time, lets bare with them. We have an incredible Beta team working jolly hard behind the scenes with Naim trying to ensure that the end result when it’s released is the right one. Richard and Clare who have worked to pass on updates etc to keep us in the loop. Remember that Covid has impacted every possible corner and Naim will be working hard to be compliant and protect the safety of their employees. I know this is frustrating but in the grand scheme of a Covid world is it all that bad.
Naim deliver in spades to give us musical pleasure. This is a blip, which happens in all industries cars, washing machines etc.
It is not my intent to create a war of words, i just respectfully request that we all be patient and fingers crossed a fix is just around the corner.

Dusty ducks for cover!

In Naim i trust.

7 Likes

Many will know that I joined the community 2 years ago to get advice on buying a streamer. I still haven’t got one. Somebody even had the cheek to suggest if I really wanted one I would have bought one. I really want one. The money is burning a hole in my pocket. It would be nice to have one that matches my CD player and amp. The nd5xs2 doesn’t have a screen which in my case appears to be a bonus but it seems like I should look elsewhere even if it costs more.

1 Like

Nah. I’d go for it. Great bit of kit and I’m sure Naim will get these issues sorted - one less thing to worry about with the lack of screen too. I must admit to being a bit wary about getting another Naim network player after reading about the issues on the forum. In the end, life’s too short, so I bit the bullet and bought one - no issues so far. It’s superb.

2 Likes

The Naim streamers sound so good and Naim must be very (VERY) close to releasing the new firmware. I’d say go for it.

2 Likes

The ND5XS2 is a well specified device and, as you point out, the absence of the screen is an advantage. It also looks better that NDX2 and ND555, in my view.

If you like the specs but you are concerned about the reliability of the ND5XS2, just negotiate with your dealer a trial period during which you can return the device at zero or at minor costs. Two weeks to one month should be no problem and during this time you can test if the defice fulfills your expectations.

3 Likes

I agree with @nbpf . There may be reliability issues (I though have not faced really that much in last 3-4 months) but in my opinion they are irritating but not something you cannot live with till Naim gives solution.

In my experience it is a great Streaming platform - very flexible with support for almost all kinds of network music services. You will start spending more time in listening music once u get it (that is the down side - ha ha ha).

Other similar platform from other brands also have various reliability issues. I have tested dCS mossaic. Check out dCS site. Check P S Audio side on the issues in their Bridge 2. With this type of complex problems having some issue because of network/wi-fi etc is common.

So @igahman best thing would be u try out in your home setup and then decide. I tried it out for almost 1 month before I decided to buy.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

@Naim.Marketing how is Sonic the Hedgehog doing with the soundcheck? :wink:

3 Likes

Very well. Check back in a couple of hours and there may well be some definitive news!

9 Likes

Stand by your Apps, everyone… news incoming in the next hour.

8 Likes

Available here now, think I’ll wait a bit!

Here we go !

:volcano: while I’m usually pretty quick to install updates, I think I’ll wait a day or two this time. Everything seems to be working OK for me as it is so no rush.

1 Like

I’m taking one for the team. Updating my Nova as we speak. The progress bar at the bottom of the screen moving swiftly.

The initial software download was quick. A few soft restarts later and then finally a hard restart (relay click + a soft thud from my speakers) the unit came back to life. Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify and HDMI inputs all work fine. Very smooth ride so far! Fingers crossed this release helps all those that previously had problems with their units!

1 Like

I’m now running the new firmware. Other than the green smoke emerging from the USB port, everything is absolutely fine.

5 Likes

Glad the smoke’s on-brand colour :wink:

4 Likes

Taking the plunge now on a ND555. Fingers crossed for all SQ matters.

2 Likes

Do we have to go through 3.5.1 first? I’m still on 3.4.

Fine to go straight to 3.6, I am told.

I’ve also been running it for a few weeks with no issues.

1 Like

All good here, not hearing any sonic differences, maybe a slightly deeper bottom end if anything. Great the bugs are sorted but disappointed no screen option updates after the long wait.

1 Like