New firmware update

Ha Ha Ha.

Sorry it is a long thread and very confusing. So thought if I can get a quick summary. Just laziness.

But what I got now it is about that crazy freezing problem.

Again, as another poster also has mentioned I also never had so bad freezing issues with either of my Nova and NDX2. And NDx2 I use almost 8 hrs a day on and off. But it is connected to ethernet.

Regards,
Sourav

There are two things. Sometimes the screen shows old artwork (ā€œfreezingā€), sometimes the unit can start to stutter while playing music and then reboots a bit later (ā€œspontaneous rebootā€).

There is probably more than one trigger for either. It affects different people differently, some triggers are very obscure (and any one person is very unlikely to come across those, but if one happens to, it can turn into a more frequent occurrence). Some have been fixed, but not all. Another round of fixes is incoming.

And sometimes on ndx2, there is no artwork at all after a couple of hours. After 12 hrs it is designed to turn off the screen. But not before.
Quite as to why some ndx2s suffer these issues and some not is the exam question to answer.

True, but I canā€™t recall having seen anyone else affected by this but you, so may be less widespread at least

Adds to the mystery moreā€¦

Thanks for the details @Suedkiez.

I have faced the screen freezing problem may be 4-5 times in last 3 months. That also most of the time with Spottify - when I am changing from Spottify to something else. And rebooting is the answer.

I have never faced spontaneous reboot.
Regards,
Sourav

I have never experienced spontaneous reboot. But I would imagine itā€™s quite painful!

This connection to Spotify could well be interesting. If this continues after the upcoming firmware update, I am sure that Naim would like to know, either here or via support@naimaudio.com

The first time is scary, because of the stuttering more than the reboot, because it sounds very broken. Happened with my brand new NDX2, quite scary. I have been on the new beta version since and had no further problems, so fingers crossed that all of you receive the update real soon now

1 Like

Nor have i, thankfully.

Iā€™m thinking father Ted kicking bishop Brennan up the ā€¦:flushed:

1 Like

After reading various threads I was in two minds about buying a Naim streamer due to the firmware issues. Coming from a faultless 272 I opted for the ND5XS2 to feed my MScaler and its performed perfectly since day one.

I hope Naim sort out the issues soon for the NDX2 and ND555 owners as its dragged on far too long, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I would agree with this, but also note that the random reboots were actually introduced through the August updateā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦ and for some ND5 XS2 owners, too! :wink:

regards,
Stefano

Iā€™ve recently suffered a loss of sound and a sudden reboot on my NDX2. At first I thought it could be my broadband connection but as everything else in the house was working I waited until it occurred again before reporting it to my dealer.
I think the point being missed in all this is Naim is supposed to be a high end product. It certainly has a high end price. You donā€™t expect such items to suffer malfunctions for several months due to a design problem which is what software problems are.
Iā€™m surprised nobody has mentioned the sale of goods implied terms act.

2 Likes

I am sure there are all kinds of legal avenues you can explore if you really want to. IANAL but would think that they all allow the vendor to try and remedy first, and most likely the issue must be significant, but whatever. If your NDX2 reboots every day or week, I suppose you have talked to your dealer and Naim already.

If it happens once every blue mood, I personally believe that this is getting not a bit silly but very. I love my system and I certainly wonā€™t get rid of the NDX2 because it once rebooted.

Iā€™m with you on this. My Nova has occasionally rebooted over the years and I have had one reboot on the NDX2 (which is a couple of months old). Would I like it not to do it? Of course. Does it bother me? Not in the least - I just view it as a quirk.

If it happened very frequently, I would probably have a different view.

Do You have time over to listening to musicšŸ˜‰?

1 Like

I agree with this and I certainly understand the annoyance by those who are personally experiencing this a lot (instead of getting annoyed by the sum of other peopleā€™s misfortunes).

1 Like

No itā€™s rebooting around the clock anyways :wink:

1 Like

The reason I mention this is because itā€™s been reported several months ago and no solution has yet been found.
I agree that itā€™s a matter of frequency of occurrence that would be weighed up when deciding whether a product is merchantable or not.
I would also agree that when working, especially with a 555ps, the NDX2 is a wonderful product.
However, at this price level you expect reliability.

1 Like