New firmware update

Well I have to admit I’m sitting here listening to Jon Hassell with a large bowl of humble pie, mine is all sounding rather good after a few days running, different for sure but good I think. Bass seems to have returned and overall clarity and noise floor is impressive. Not sure what’s going on tbh, does it really need to bed in for a few days? I doubt it so I’m presuming ones brain just needs time to adjust from old to new, @Darkebear did mention about it seeming bright initially and warming up after a while which is pretty much what I’ve experienced. It sort of ties in with cable burn in scenarios so I’m guessing it’s purely a cognitive thing, interesting though.

I have also become part of the Firmware misery. This morning I had some issues with Qobuz, slow, seeing progress in the song.
And just a bit ago my ND555 stopped playing at once in the middle of an album, and rebooted itself.

That’s strange, I don’t like instability…

Mike did you not see my post from a day or two ago to you on this? I mailed Naim and they said that the presets are for cloud services (which I assume means internet streaming services), but not for networked content. They said that if there appears to demand for extending this to networked content then they’ll consider it in future.

1 Like

I did thanks, but was confused as you mentioned presets should work for streaming, but it is only for internet streaming not local streaming, so thanks for the clarification. I guess that then extends to favourites, as that functionality on the remote and display only works for internet streaming, not local streaming. Its confusing, because they are network players and there could be an expectation that the functionality would also be provided for local streaming, as this still has a large following for best sound quality. Anyway, onwards and forwards.

1 Like

You would have thought to be fair

1 Like

Sat watching TV this morning, I’ve not used my Nova for a few days.

Suddenly the thing wakes up (all lights come on, relay click). Then the power light flashed for maybe 5s and it went back to sleep.

Control app not running on my iPad and remote control safely sat on the media unit. Weird :ghost:

Edit: Just turned it on to see if it still works, and it’s reset it’s name to include the serial number again.

If you haven’t used it since it updated itself then probably worth doing a reset.

Hi Bert,

Sorry to hear that.

It seems that this firmware release really has some issues.

As I use my ND555 as a Roon endpoint only, I didn’t notice those problems. Which means I probably have them too.

Random reboots is generally related to “unexpected errors”… which is not cool, not at all!

Have contacted Naim support?

I have found a possible 3.5 bug that maybe worth investigating this morning. My Uniti Star is running 3.5 and following a factory reset was all working fine (no issues).

Today, while I updated the firmware in my Orbi Router I noticed the Uniti Star, which was turned off in standby mode, I heard relays clicking (as if powering on) as the internet was lost. A few seconds later there was a low level thump sound from the speakers. Once the internet was restored, after the router firmware upgrade, there was another click from relays in the Star. At no point did any indicator lights or display come on (apart for the constantly lit power light).
I should also add the Uniti Star is connected wirelessly to the router. The unit turned on and worked normally after the router upgrade.

Internet loss is rare but it could be disconcerting if an ISP updated a router or there was a loss of internet in the middle of the nigh.

I had the same experience on my Nova.

So far it has only happened once since i did the update a few days ago.

This happend to mine after powering it down by removing the powercable . I used wired connection but since the update it has been very sluggish over the network and connecting. I had to power it off again to get it back into operating mode. Then factory reset.

Thanks Richard, I’ve just done that. Seemed to go well. Fortunately I had 4 more AAA batteries in the man drawer for the remote. It never gets used but had munched through the last set in 6mo (motion detection is off).

Update:
Factory reset sees full service resumed on Chromebook and later Android phone. Qobuz going fine now and working through Bubble on older phone device.
Naim app not working on older Android device but it is an old device. My only puzzle is why a firmware update on the box itself would ‘break it’. No matter I am content that all is now good.
SQ not an issue for me sounds pretty good. I might feel strong enough to look at the new features now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Steady on now…

2 Likes

OK I have had a good further listen…to me the midrange feels harder…in presentation with an extended hi frequency … the bass then seems a touch deeper…and extended.

@Richard.Dane
I would like to try a factory reset on the ND555 given SQ decrease noted post update
How is it done and are there any downsides in doing it
Thanks

I’m not a user of the ND555, neither do I stream (I cannot easily use streaming services at home due to appalling local BT infrastructure that makes the whole thing an exercise in futility and frustration) so I couldn’t say for sure, but I’m not aware from others of any downsides in doing a reset.

AFAIK, when you power off the ND555 and leave it for a few minutes then power up again it will re-boot. If you want to go there whole hog and reset to factory settings then you need to be prepared to lose any programmed favourites or playlists. To do this, when turning on the ND555ʼs power supply, hold down the Play and Input selection buttons of the ND555, until the front panel display of the ND555 turns on, then release.

If I’m wrong I’m sure an ND555 owner will put me right…

1 Like

That is how it can sound on some material now. I’m finding a lot of little things impact presentation and my choices on some music work very well - and at other times it presents a bit toward edgy and losing fine detail - but not always!

I’m doing some experiments today on my set-up as otherwise it is all working fine.

Naim have confirmed they have made no changes to the frequency response of the bitstream to the final DAC circuit, but that all other processes can be fine-tuned for noise-interactions - they have done that before this release - and IMO it was better than the last pre-release Beta version we had which I did not like in terms of SQ - more of what you describe.
There were versions in early Beta I really liked that sounded totally different (better) - so there is some room for tweaking perhaps.

But - I begin at my end with what I have in my ND555 App control and having just turned-off under ‘settings - more settings - Server Mode’ I’m preferring it with that off right now. If you are not needing that option it is easy to turn on/off and listen if it makes a difference.
Music seems more natural and engaging with it off with one track I know well and a bit harder with it on - toggle on/off takes a few seconds so easy to try.

Not saying that is any fix for perceived problem, as many things interact - my room being cooler this morning tends my system toward a bit brighter and that may not be a great interaction…so hard to nail it all down on what tweaks available to end-listener may optimize the presentation.

DB.

3 Likes

Factory reset. Is this a reset as to how it left the factory, or the same albeit with the downloaded firmware?

It’s with all the settings back to how it left the factory but with the firmware that you last installed.

Best

David