New firmware update

I wouldn’t call it a firmware as a firmware in most cases introduces improvements and stability.

So it is possible to reinstall 3.5 after a factory reset? After my factory reset the firmware was already up to date.

I have carried out the full reset and after setting the NDX 2 up, the SQ hasn’t changed for the better, it is still pretty much unlistenable, so this morning I have raised a case with tech support.

That was my experience. After factory reset the last installed update is running. In my case with a much better sound and resolution. Best, Marc

@jsaudio I would suggest you log in to Qobuz directly (outside of the Naim ecosystem), and if you can see all your favourites there, then they won’t be lost by resetting your streamer.

1 Like

Qobuz favourites are not stored locally on either the Naim or Qobuz apps, so they won’t be lost. Log into Qobuz on any of their own apps, or on the Naim app, Roon, or whatever else you use, and you will see the same Qobuz favourite playlists, tracks etc. everywhere.

1 Like

OK good. I have read elsewhere that with a similar case, @Stevesky advised uninstalling and then reinstalling the update and that cured the poor sound issues. Tech support may well advise something similar here.

1 Like

I’ve lost track what was wrong with the old firmware that required changing.

I don’t think that the increase of SQ is a byproduct .

As for how or if it should advertised that’s down to Naim’s strategy.
Many other companies, like dCS or CH Precision, have the same strategy.

That’s right. How “audiophile qualities” are blended together makes the sound signature of a DAC. And that’s down to ones taste.

But, being able to extract more details out of streamed file, isn’t a matter of taste. It is part of a DAC’s intrinsic quality.

The better the DAC the more details it is able to retrieve (among many other qualities, of course, ).

Qualities such as :

• retrieving details
  • airiness
  • stereo image
  • layering
  • etc.

are qualities that any high end audio manufacturer seeks, and so do their costumers.

Usually the firmware updates (3.3 --> 3.4 --> 3.5) go in that direction. Which I believe is a good thing.

Unfortunately, the 3.5 firmware update, comes with stability issues, which is quite annoying…

1 Like

I think a bit of perspective may be in order. Most of those I know or who I have been in touch with who have current streamers and have updated the firmware have had its go without a hitch and have experienced improvements in a number of areas. Unfortunately, some on here have had issues, which is understandable as the forum will be a first port of call for many, but we’re trying to resolve them, and many are already resolved. It’s just the few tougher cases that can take longer, especially as there can be so many complex factors at play.

However, I can really appreciate how frustrating it must be for anybody affected, but do rest assured that Naim will, I’m sure, sort things out one way or another.

1 Like

I should offer Naim to buy back my (early) NDX2 as an early warning system :joy:. Mine is most likely affected by all issues (except sound quality). In addition to the firmware, the replacement of the defective relay should not be forgotten :frowning:.
I just don’t understand why so many people here see problems immediately after updating the firmware, but Naim obviously doesn’t during development. At least that’s my impression.

I haven’t had any drop offs today. It would be nice to know whether that was an issue with the app, since that has been updated? SQ has been excellent.

I think it’s because the forum acts like a concentrated pool so the view of the extent of any issue tends to be adversely distorted.

Obviously Naim greatly value the Beta testing of end-users to see whether any issues crop up in the field before a software is put on general release. For any such operation, having as wide a base of beta testers as possible has to be advantageous. I realise you’re part of the Beta team, but do I recall you saying the other day that you didn’t partake in the most recent testing? Or did the issues with the update to your machine only crop up after the actual release?

Best typo so far this morning… (sorry). :wink:

4 Likes

I was only able to test the last couple of beta versions of the iOS app, since I thought new beta firmware versions would be indicated by and installed via the beta apps. And I did not see anything therein. I experienced those screen freezes with every former firmware version and the saw the “new” issues (black screen, re-bootings) only after updating to v3.5.
Next time I will look for instructions in the beta section here.

Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying. I’m sure the R&D team will be very interested in your experiences going forwards, and thanks for your Beta input.

I read this forum regularly but I think only once commented before.
I have updated my Atom to 3.5.0
Yesterday it just rebooted in the middle of listening to an album.
I have had niggling problems in the past where for example the usb input option has vanished or the buttons on the unit stop working and rebooting has always solved them but I do not think I should have to be doing this.
I have spent nearly 40 years testing in mainly the telecoms industry but also in the financial industry. It is very costly process to do it thoroughly and from what I have experienced and read here I do wonder if it’s a Naim weakness.
However I do like it and I’m thinking of upgrading to a Nova.

I don’t mind that a firmware turns out to have some issues, but you say “prompt” action. This is where I disagree, between every firmware release I’ve seen there’s been a minimum of 4-5 months. And that’s if they get the fix right the first time, the screen freeze as an example took a few firmwares to fix. (And I think there’s one or two reports here of it still not being fixed, although I personally haven’t seen it since upgrading to 3.5)

But to be be clear, like Kryptos, I love my unit despite its and/or Naim’s flaws.

1 Like

For information - I also noticed once my App updated the SQ following the Firmware update I did before the App updated now seemed to sound better. Perhaps - if it is in part a noise issue impacting SQ - the App initializes any new or changed features the new Firmware has. I certainly found my initial quibbles with parts of SQ greatly reduced after the App updated, but since I could not A-B compare it is not for certain.
Other changes since then with turning off some unused (by me) features I do hear as making a difference. Given that these were probably working as intended and a possible new feature not initialized right may be somewhat ‘running wild’ may be a noise problem?
Just in case it narrows the solution down is why I raise it.

Mine is now working well with improved SQ and stability, but I mostly use my system to stream rips of CDs so I’m not pushing it in as many dimensions as others.

DB.

1 Like

Could you let me know what you were listening to (i…e whether a streaming service such as Tidal etc., or perhaps local network streaming?) when the re-boot occurred?

In fact, for anybody who has update to the latest firmware and experienced a mystery re-boot during listening, could you tell Naim or post here what you were listening to at the time - not the singer or piece of music (don’t worry, it’s a not a special Barry Manilow filter at work, and your love of Black Lace can remain between you and the dog), just whether you were using a streaming service such as Tidal etc., or perhaps local network streaming? Naim are trying to recreate this and it would be good to see whether there are any common factors.

3 Likes