New firmware update

I never bother with a factory reset either. Never have done, on Superuniti, NDX, and now on Atom, NDX2 and QB2. I just let the update run, then use it.

1 Like

Thanks again for the info. Sounds fair enough then, Iā€™ll bite.

1 Like

Just to comment that, in addition to the problems I have already exposed above in the thread, the Naim App was intractable yesterday: the short available time I had, multiple and constant freezes, spontaneous restarts, loss of control and icons that did not respondā€¦

Anyway, I donā€™t know if this can be fixed or not, or when, but the truth is that I never thought that after the time, effort and cost of completing the main system, I would become so burned by the operation of the damn control software of a high-end streamer that should work flawlessly.

I did post sometime back that my ND555 was showing no update available firmware as screenshot. I noticed today that I can update thoughts please or should I wait?

Nooooooooooooo.
I take it the 555 works? If so, leave it.

This is a bit like missing Windows vista. XP was Ok and worked.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™d skip that version if youā€™re happy right now.

1 Like

Thanks , the 555 is sounding rather good after itā€™s return from Salisbury several weeks ago I will leave well alone till the ongoing problems are sorted.

1 Like

A wise move! Iā€™m surprised that itā€™s still being offered to be honest.

Clive, I was quite surprised to see the update pop up today my ND555 was reinstalled by my dealer some five weeks ago after major surgery back at HQ so Iā€™m not sure what caused the delay in showing the update as available today.

Maybe the ND555 misses HQ and wishes to return to the bench.

You could be right it has visited HQ on a couple of occasions it might be getting homesick ?

The key thing here is that you were given access to 3.4 to revert and are probably happy with that regardless of any ongoing issues.

I was given access to a much older firmware version 18 months ago or longer and could live with that eschewing all future enhancements if I had to as I prefer the sound overall until a few versions around 3.4 which have frankly been flawless for me and pretty good sonically.

A fudge to 3rd party compliance which may be the issue for people wanting to revert would be to only offer a current firmware for direct computer download for a few weeks after release of a new version - in that way users could donwload and archive versions that they could reinstall.

Iā€™m surprised these streamers donā€™t collect exception information when these problems occur, and then either send the info to Naim, or have it available to support people if you call them. It should be relatively easy to figure this out with that information, instead of guessing what went wrong.

4 Likes

Good point. That is what my Mac does.

1 Like

Thats a good point

You can share useage data by turning the option on through ā€œother settingsā€ in the app :sunglasses:

Does that work Mike and sends the necessary info to Naim as they take an age to release firmware updates, seems to me they are guessing, trial and error approach and end users doing the beta testing.

These issues have put me off from upgrading my 272 and UQ to the new gen 2 platform.

Thatā€™s not quite the same as sharing when required, ie not all the time, which is an option on my Mac. Sharing data only when needed to report a problem would offer more privacy.

Iā€™ve no idea to be honest, but the feature is there, so one would hope it was being used.

Naim have software that if placed on a usb stick can extract data if placed in the usb port just after the fault occurs, it can extract a log of what has been happening. I would imagine some may have been asked to do this, and Naim are working on the fix from that data?