New firmware update

You make an excellent point indeed, however there is a caveat to error reporting.

In order to report the error the software has to know there is an error first. Speaking with no knowledge of the internal error handling routines in the firmware, but if software or firmware becomes unresponsive this is often cause something has caused the code to loop or run too much. In this case the code would not know to log an error.

There are many other issues here too. But it remains a case of that if the unit knows it is in an error state it should recover either by resuming function or show an actual error. If the error is causing it to hover between these states or reboot, thereby causing memory to be lost, I am not sure if the error will or can be reported.

It seems there is no need for explaining, if it does not work in the first placeā€¦

I would agree with you, although I suppose it depends on what the Naim software does in collecting diagnostic data. If it collects a memory dump, then I suppose thatā€™s something that can be sent directly to Naim over the internet, assuming its not too large. It may just be collecting event logs which might give an indication on what the device was doing prior to the crash. Now Naim wouldnā€™t want all logs on all devices all the time, but I suppose there is no reason why the app couldnā€™t give an option to send diagnostic data to Naim following a crash - again like a Apple Mac would. Hopefully Naim are thinking about it, and if they do introduce it, lets hope that code is well written and doesnā€™t cause issues in itself :blush:

Yeah, it all depends on how the software approaches this. And yeah you can collect and send everything but that causes two potential problems:

1. Possible privacy issues.
  2. Trying to find a needle in a haystack of collected dump data.

Bad error logging is sometimes worse than no error logging.

But certainly, if it is targeted and useful I would say go for it. Only, turning on the ā€œLog all the thingsā€ switch does not mean it becomes helpful.

On a computer you have a lot more persisted data as well than on something that loads everything into normal or flash memory so they can do more targeted reporting of the error conditions as the persisted storage can be used to reconstruct more info.

1 Like

Computers donā€™t just spontaneously reboot on their own. Thereā€™s either an exception handler that is being called that does the reboot. Or the external reset line to the microprocessor is being pulled. In the first case, they should be logging this information so that it can be collected. For the second case, they should know the conditions that will cause this, or the chip that did the hardware reset will possibly have log information also.

Having a screen freeze again.

Iā€™ve already reported the issues Iā€™m facing a week ago, still no answer

1 Like

And I can see the unit had another reboot last night.

Sound is however excellent :slight_smile:

No Idea if itā€™s related to the firmware, but had a strange issue tonight.My Star wasnā€™t responding to the app or Chromecast even though botth could"see" it. When I tried to operate it with the buttons, it seemed it didnā€™t respond initially although at some point the display showed a different input but so much delayed it was impossible to tell what to do next. So much I couldnā€™t really select anything.

When I wanted to turn it off by keeping the power button pressed nothing happened. Volume dial on top seemed to be blinking.

As itā€™s my daughterā€™s birthday and I had guests I just unplugged it, which fixed it.

Did anyone else experience anything similar?

Yeah I had pretty much exactly the same on my Star. Slowed down like crazy. Selected input and 10 seconds later reacted. Then pretty much froze. I could deep sleep it with the power button but that lagged too, screen remained active for a while. Power down fixed it for me too.

So hereā€™s a theory. The volume of issues with 3.5 plus the fact that they seem to have caught Naim by surprise may indicate the poorly done merging of a whole new branch of code into the main line. You would have done this if for example you had been developing a new product and it was nearly ready for release. Merging new productā€™s code into the ā€˜releaseā€™ branch is a common step just before product enters final test. New product could be, oh I donā€™t knowā€¦ a 372?

I am running with this theory as it means the replacement 272 is nigh!

1 Like

I do know for a fact development has been working on classic code. Now no one had mentioned what that code may be, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if your hunch is close to reality. I do know on the core for example, they are using an updated version of Samba. This maybe the cause for the streamers as well. Naim will make it right. I still have outstanding issues with the core after the latest and it was well documented into the beta forum but never made it into GA code release.

So I think I may have experienced my first random reboot. Came down this morning to find my Nova ā€œblinkingā€, with menu and volume control lights pulsing on and off. Did a 3 sec hold of power button to reset and all seems fine for now. I thought Iā€™d escaped the 3.5 problems. Of course, it may have been a power outage but I donā€™t know.

Just had another random reboot (my second, but first after doing the power cycle plus cup of tea thing). This time, however, I saw a ā€˜Pairing Completeā€™ screen, which is a new one. Itā€™s as if Iā€™ve paired the remote again (which I havenā€™t).

1 Like

My Atom now refuses to show any cover art at all, I normally have my display off however it use to show the cover for a few seconds before turning its self off. Now nothing, just a black screen. It still shows volume levels and it doesnā€™t seem to shutdown as well. The app is also playing up, it refuses to show my Muso but itā€™s there to stream to, think weā€™ve got ghosts in our machines.

1 Like

Will be emailing Naim Support with info on firmware update effect on my Nova, which has appeared over the last three days via the following issues in no particular order:

App setting to turn display off not working or intermittent.
Power off and on during playback of vinyl LP.
No ability to apply any settings during playback. Sound working but app, handset and Nova buttons unresponsive so had to power off.
Volume display intermittent. Sometimes it displays sometimes and more often it does not via app, handset or physically turning the volume wheel.

A random reboot, and hay presto my cover art has reappeared and all working again.

1 Like

Odd after a flawless update and zero issues just got the random reboot, actually i think it was three successive.

Could you let Naim Tech Support know, giving as much surrounding detail as you can. Thanks.

FWIW I had my Star shutting down on me while playing vinyl on v 3.4 already.

Setting the shutdown time higher in the Naim app sorted it for me. Dunno if it is related though.

1 Like

Thanks. Good tip re the shut off timer.

1 Like