New firmware update

My NDX2 has now performed faultlessly after a factory reset on 3.5.0. Sounding wonderful too so not sure I’ll jump early to 3.5.1.

G

1 Like

Unless 3.5.1 is meant to improve functionalities or the sound quality, why should users who have no problems with 3.5.0 upgrade? Especially if Naim does not explicitly recommend to do so. 3.5.1 seems to be relevant only for owners of devices that have problems with 3.5.0.

Hard to say. I too thought 3.5.0 gave a small benefit in SQ and the Atom seems to be singing at the moment on 3.5.1, but I suspect my Iotas are still running in, so that might account for it. At any rate, I think 3.5.1 SQ is at least as good as 3.5.0.

Roger

1 Like

Dont buy into this at all. Its just bad software with bugs that manafest in certain use cases with certain other parameters not taken into consideration. Not that these can be considered abnormal just not likely tested for. More people on the beta program the better it will become.

3 Likes

Hope ist last to die.

Sorry, don’t understand the banter, old boy!

Me too!

Tuesday, 2.30!

In the past?

G

Next week, of course.

1 Like

Tell to the king that the carven hall is fallen in decay;
Apollo has no chapel left, no prophesying bay,
No talking spring. The stream is dry that had so much to say.

Indeed…

… hope is last to die.

1 Like

So if you are still on 3.4 … is there any compelling reason to update? For those using 3.5/3.5.1 is there something in the feature set that you now could not live without?

1 Like

Very good question! I understand that 3.5 was meant to fix a number of errors that were affecting 3.4. Thus the question boils down to whether these errors have been eliminated in 3.5/3.5.1 and to wheather new errors have possibly been introduced. Time will tell.

I wonder if Naim will eventually add support for Amazon Music in a future firmware upgrade.

Just had another random reboot on my NDX2 playing from the Core. Looking forward to the fix… updated the Nova yesterday, which well enough including me accidentally unplugging the network switch just after the firmware had downloaded…

Unlikely. Most software updates, installs will perform a checksum to ensure the file is complete before attempting to install it.

As @CrystalGipsy said, it’s most likely the Beta program is not big enough to stress test the software fully in order to take into account every system build or third party hardware. Apple must have 100,000’s… possibly millions of people in the Beta program but many bugs still get through. Nature of the beast.

3 Likes

Quite right, if the update does not download completely it would be broken. Updates are usually packed so the file size is smaller for transfer. It would not even be able to unpack.

And if it broke during install the software would just crash or even fail to start up at all.

What @CrystalGipsy says indeed touches on what this most probably is. Bugs in software manifest in untested corners. In Naim’s defence these can be pretty unexpected use cases during development and in house testing. It is very hard to predict how every user will use software. You can damn sure that a button does what it is supposed to and then the first time someone else does it they just click on it in a different sequence of events or timing and CRACK!

Add to that a random amount of external devices that can be connected and configured in a large amount of permutations with limited testing capacity and this will always happen.

Certainly does not alleviate the frustration to those afflicted (myself included) but as someone who builds and tests software for a living, there is a very predictable cause.

1 Like

Yes it can be frustrating but, as you mention, I think Naim would be hard pushed to cover every angle in testing. To be honest, even if every member on this forum became a Beta tester, it is still unlikely to be anywhere near enough to prevent these problems. Especially as products become more complex and software dependent (streamers, transports and all-in-one systems) that will interact with other non naim hardware.

I also used to be a programmer in the past… VBA and SaS programmer (banking). I left after 15 years to start my own business… i.e. escaped the rat race :joy:

1 Like