New firmware update

Using it as well and I can’t swim.

1 Like

Are you using the Naim accessory the Snorckal and / or Arm-bands?

@Gazza and @pcd, are you both on 3.5.1 on your ND555s?

If so, I assume it is because you are both beta testers.

Yes, but i had no problems on 3.5.0…which is why Naim and some of us tried to encourage those experiencing problems to join beta testing. As i had no problems in the first place i could not verify the next version of firmware…other than not introducing further concerns.

1 Like

It remains slightly baffling though, that some folks, with identical kit, had such widely differing experiences with the last firmware update.

Total wipeout here, until I managed to sort it out.

2 Likes

I too had no problems with 3.5.0, other than I noticed the ND555 re-booting immediately after the house lights flickered, so I put the reboot down to a power interruption rather than a firmware issue.

As all seems fine now on 3.5.0, I plan to wait a bit before going to 3.5.1.

Yes, my ND555 has only recently been returned from Naim after a major fault and at the moment all is functioning very well and it is sounding absolutely superb.

…And you are running 3.5.1 now?

3.5.1 here been playing Qobuz, ripped CDs and Iradio at the moment no problems.

1 Like

That is encouraging….

Has anyone already on 3.5.1 noticed any change in SQ. I know its not supposed to affect SQ but I absolutely did notice a change with 3.5 and now back to 3.4.

Maybe there are other 3.5.1 beta testers out there who can let us know how their ND555 is performing, and if there is any change to SQ between 3.5 and 3.5.1.

I’m not sure beta testers are meant to let on, but as you know I had four reboots that I’m aware of on 3.5.0 - there may have been others which I’ve not been aware of. I’m a beta tester and so far…:crossed_fingers:t2:

BTW I didn’t notice any SQ difference between 3.4 and 3.5, but I reckon 3.5.1 might be preferable.

1 Like

Thanks Clive.

I would have thought that, as 3.5.1 had already been released for the Uniti range and due any moment for streamer separates, the gags would be off.

Why don’t you sign up to become a beta tester yourself?

Yes, I have been considering this. As I had no problems with 3.5, not sure I would have been much help on this occasion, but will put my name in the hat for future tests.

Actually now is a good time as my system is settled and I am not evaluating other upgrades.

It can only be how the update is installed?
The update could be vulnerable to drop outs, not leaving it long enough…I don’t know.
The factory are certainly shipping products with 3.5.0. And clearly uploaded in a controlled manner, so hence why 3.5.0 works if a factory install.
Non of us want to go back to having to take our products back to the dealer for an update. But equally Naim need to make the “over the internet” updates tolerant to faults and complications during download.

I wonder if Naim will actively encourage updating from 3.5 to 3.5.1 for those who have no problem with 3.5 on their ND streamers, like me?

Presumably so, if 3.5.1 fixes other issues beyond the random rebooting and associted problems.

I hope us contented 3.5 users get a clear steer from Naim.

1 Like

I’m a bit reticent to update from a factory install to, what is a bug fix with 3.5.1. Especially if the update is not 100% tolerant of download issues.

I’ll certainly have a punt on 3.5.1 I’ve had about 5 reboots on the NDX2, two of them after the full factory reset. All were local streaming from a Unitiserve.

Paul