New firmware update

The streamer reboots itself. You don’t need to unplug it from the wall or pull any mains cables out. Same with any PC laptop. It does everything itself. Same as any NAS device.

I would guess so.

Surely Naim must have good reason to recommend the Streamer unplugging and network device restarting rigmarole?

@Richard.Dane?

I’ve just updated my ND5 XS2 to 3.5.1 (felt smug on 3.5.0 for a while as it was performing beautifully, and then it went into random reboots several times a day, which seemed to have some relationship to switching inputs and then pausing the stream; a workaround which seemed to work was to always switch to iRadio and pause that stream - clunky, but seemed to work for me over the last days. Hopefully irrelevant now. )

So far, after an hour, everything’s working smoothly, no discernible change in SQ.

Will report back if random reboots recur - but I’m quietly confident it will be fine this time.

I’m not sure they do any more with the latest fw update. I’m told it shouldn’t now be needed, but personally I’d probably do it anyway, just to be sure…

Ah, OK.

That is as one would expect. The unplugging and the 10 minutes waiting do sound like recommendations to improve the suspense. Perhaps they are rituals which are good for the user but I would be very surprised if the success of firmware upgrades would depend on them.

1 Like

I’m with Stephen Tate. Am not going to disturb my network unless there are issues with or following the upgrade - which I am about to do !

Upgrade completed - no issues. Let the fun commence. Initial impression is no significant change in sound.

As I understand it the power down for a period on devices are there to ensure that all existing settings are wiped from memory. Time to allow capacitors to discharge and no longer keep memory circuits charged.

Usually his is around 10 to 30 seconds. 10 mins is obviously a let’s be 3000000% sure an errant setting in memory is not causing the issue.

Powering down the network is a mystery to me. Suppose it would force the network to assign a new IP address if it’s setup as DHCP. Perhaps the Naim is thought to keep its old network setting in memory and they want to flush it to new?

In both cases (with the exception of switching routers and forcing a MAC address update in the ISP WAN router) there are no other tech devices in my house at this stage that still recommends it aside from here.

2 Likes

At the end of the update my NDX 2 did just that, all on it’s own. The unit shuts down by itself including from standby mode. It didn’t require manual interference from the end user. I must be one of the lucky few who has never experienced any FW update issues.

Yup agreed. Everything else I have does the startup by itself during the update. Initially, before seeing the instructions, I assume that was what my Star was doing in the power down too.

1 Like

Sound quality is, to my ears, as good as before - which was excellent (NDX2+XPS-DR).

2 Likes

Completed the 3.5.1 update with no obvious hiccups, and everything seems fine … but then, it did last time with 3.5, for several days, before crashing, so, :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Unbelievable and amazing!

I have installed the new firmware update (3.5.1), taking in consideration the ‘re-boot the device’ tip (unplug device, leave for about 10 minutes, then re-plug in).

And after the hard work developed by the Naim Software Development Team with my Tidal Account, well, at the moment both the device and the app are finally working as they should, flawless, with complete and functional access to all Tidal favorites both from the remote as from the app, and besides, I would say that with an important lift in sound quality, deeper and sharper but no edge sound, a greater presence to the sound than with the previous firmware release.

So it seems that things are stable and working well, and, for now, I can only thank you, Naim, for the work, effort and dedication; a 10 to all you!

9 Likes

I freely do not understand what is “Unbelievable and amazing” in the fact that a software update works as it should but I am glad to hear that it works!

2 Likes

3.5.1 on ND5XS2 installed. Sounds fine, no real change, no probs as before. Jump in!

1 Like

3.5.1 installation went smoothly from 3.4 on thr ND555 and SQ seems fine so far.Fingers crossed

2 Likes

The 3.5.1 firmware installed and all is sounding good and no issues out of the gate.

4 Likes

Zero issues here - Update was ready to go when I woke this morning (I’m in Japan) - Was all done (and rebooted) by the time I rustled up breakfast, all in 15 minutes including the restarts. Give it a proper listen tonight, but streaming radio this morning no problem.