New firmware update

So have you done it yet, Nigel?

1 Like

He is leading the troops from the rearšŸ˜‰

4 Likes

Weā€™ve gone on holiday, will watch for debris on our return before taking the plunge :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Have a good one, Mike.

1 Like

Updated NDX2 last night no issues, listening to BBC Radio 3 this morning I noticed it suddenly went dead and also remote was unresponsive with intermittent flashing of green display ring around the navigation buttons, then went to power unit down and it would not respond - had to unplug at back, now back up and running and seems fine, hopefully a one off but a bit suspicious

1 Like

Yes, youā€™re right.

Iā€™m refering to the exhaustive work of Steve Harris (@Stevesky) and Tom Vamos (@tomvamos) to arrive to discover why mi Tidal account didnā€™t work in the Naim App. Belive me, if you know it you also would think itā€™s ā€˜Unbelievable and amazingā€™, and also you would start to belive in the ā€˜computer goblinsā€™.

Onwards men, Iā€™m right behind you, honest!

1 Like

Although I donā€™t really feel the need (never had problems with 3.5) I fear my ND555 might develop the rebooting issue if I remain on 3.5. So this afternoon I will update to 3.5.1. Nobody seems to be having any problems with 3.5.1, so I am going in!

3 Likes

Weā€™ve got your back coveredā€¦:grimacing:

2 Likes

I am glad that Naimā€™s software support worked very well for you and itā€™s good to know that Steve Harris and Tom Vamos are doing an amazing job.

That said, they would have to turn water into wine to make me start believing in computer goblins!

I have been developing software for more than 30 years and I guess I have seen (and made) thousands of programming errors. I can only remember one case in my professional life in which a software system was obviously misbehaving but, even after weeks, we could not find a software error.

Even in that case, there were no computer goblins at work: it eventually turn out to be an hardware failure, one of a memory bank.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just has a spontaneous reā€¦No I canā€™t bring myself to follow this joke through.

Its all good. Honest!

G

3 Likes

If 3.5.0 works fine, it will most likely keep on working fine. You can always upgrade when and if your system starts to misbehave. But I understand your feelings and I think itā€™s a shame that one cannot revert an upgrade step.

1 Like

Ooohhā€¦ā€¦you bad boy. :wink:

2 Likes

Just updated to 3.5.1 and sounding just a great as it did on 3.5, as it should of course.

4 Likes

I installed 3.5.1 on my NDX2 last night. All went well and it has been playing fine since then.

1 Like

If anything this teaches us not to jump up and down in a tizz.

All will be well in the end.

G

Agreed, but I do think Naim need to strengthen their beta testing programmes. It seems to me that the beta testing team is simply not large enough in terms of the degree of system components/set up and usage variability required to capture enough of the undesired effects of software bugs introduced in updates.

The introduction of 3.5 FW is a classic example. Several users reported the phantom rebooting problem on here, among other problems. I suspect a more rigorous and broader beta testing programme could have picked this up, as the rebooting problem did not seem isolated, judging by the number of reported problems with 3.5 on here.

I have volunteered to be a beta tester but one of the recent stickies on here thanked those who have volunteered, stating that Naim now have enough beta testers.

Weā€™ll seeā€¦

2 Likes

That was a bit scary:

My nd555 is (was) completely broken by the new update :confused: Qobuz, server and internet radio all sounding a bit like what dial up internet sounded like

Or it was but turn it off and on (power supply off and on) and now itā€™s ok :man_shrugging:

Whatā€™s that about?! Computers eh?

I had the phantom rebooting happen a couple of times.

Maybe that is why Naim are (were) recommending unplugging and replugging your streamer, and singning out and in to streaming services, after updating.