New firmware update

I have reported the problem to Naim.

1 Like

Itā€™s worth re-seating the connectors. Many optical leads have connectors with a poor tolerance for fit. Slight misalignment can mean no signal is detected. Got to be worth a try?

Thanks, I will try it. Although the screen indicates no signal, the signal is getting through because there is sound. Itā€™s a weird problem.

If I donā€™t look at the screen, I wouldnā€™t even know about it.

Please remind me please what should 3.5.2 bring this week? I am getting anxious.

Considering the main complaint is about random reboots, I suppose we could call it the ā€œstability releaseā€.

I experienced, at least, two reboots (I didnā€™t check my DHCP logs for more).

So yes, some expectations here :wink:

1 Like

Merci Tom !

1 Like

It probably wonā€™t be this week, sad to say. The Naim software team are currently working through all feedback provided by the beta-test team, and hope to have the Firmware Update released soon ā€“ but only when every issue is thoroughly examined and addressed.

1 Like

Does that mean when we do get 3.5.2, that all the issues will be fixed? If so, I donā€™t mind waiting another week.

Another month would do too.

This is weird. I donā€™t seem to have any problems with my NDX 2 regardless of firmware version, yet Naim are allegedly bringing out another update to fix the ones that do have issues? really?

Mine was ok on 3.5.0 when delivered ( from memory). Screen freeze or just blank screen on 3.5.1. Naim tell me its a " well known issue with certain hardware versions of the ndx2. And is associated with over clocking of a processor"

So it sounds like the bits inside may differ from one batch of machines to the next. With some more vulnerable than others.

You donā€™t have to update. You may be getting ā€˜randomā€™ reboots while you are not listening so probably donā€™t notice them. You may not he getting any problems. Plenty of people are so Naim luckily have acknowledged these issues and are working to fix them.

1 Like

My newly acquired NDX2 has been flawless for a week and works much better with the app than the Nova did. With the Nova I had all of the well-known issues: screen freezes, reboots, and one complete freeze requiring a factor reset. The NDX2 is pre-loved and a 2019 serial, the Nova was more recent. Other NDX2ā€™s apparently have issues. Surely possible that not all computery bits are the same over the lifetime of such a product and indeed this seems to be the issue as Thegreatroberto wrote

1 Like

@Chag
Forgot to mention that those reboots occured this week ! Meaning I had a few more previously :wink:

If youā€™re still running the 3.4 release you might want to wait before updating.

All in all, I havenā€™t experienced a lot of those reboots. So it doesnā€™t bother me that much.

Itā€™s just that the ND555 + 2 x 555PS is quite an expensive product, especially when bought new. Those little glitches happen, but shouldnā€™t lastā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Tom; I am on latest 3.5.1 and havenā€™t experienced random reboots lately. I am always interested in firmware updates for any possible SQ improvement (when a DSP menu?), incidentally for any new important functionality. I would be very interested and be ready to pay for that matter for a greater integration with Qobuz via their App for access to original booklet, magazine, blogs and purchasing platform.

I think my NDX 2 was part of the very first wave of units produced by Naim upon the launch just before ND5 XS 2. I have to say my unit has been fault free thus far and is over 2 years old now. Music sounds incredible. Live albums are LIVE. NDX 2 here sounds and operates in a very fantastic way. Heads nod, fingers click, toes tap and trousers flap. I find the app too is slick, intelligent, trouble free and joy to use. Iā€™m also using the latest firmware update. I have read here of other members problems with their players. This is a shame and i hope those members can get to the bottom with their issues. It does weird to me because iā€™m not experiencing those negatives. Maybe itā€™s a network thing even? EE 8Switch is also faultless.

Just saying that if things arenā€™t running smooth by now then maybe they might never. Of course, my player could go the other way too, with the next update (ironically) Iā€™m not scared of any firmware update. If Naim can make my NDX 2 with XPS DR sound closer to a ND555 with twin 555DRs then iā€™m all for it and will probably crank the volume that little further. Glad youā€™re enjoying your NDX 2 - itā€™s a phenomenal piece of music making wizardry!

P.S i must dash as Master Chef Professionals has just started!

2 Likes

It does mean the 372 is delayed

2 Likes

Almost certainly.

It will never happen unless there is a fundamental change in the Naim preamp line up, the 372 powered via both 555DR outputs will probably come too close to the 252 with NDX2.

Good news for anyone who has been waiting, I received this from Naim today after I reported my total Nova freeze (screen froze and after reboot the on/off button flashed and nothing was working, fixed only by factory reset):

We do have a fix for this in the new release of firmware that is due to be released in the next couple of weeks, the display freeze is related to a memory leak and/or CPU overclocking so Iā€™ve been told.