New firmware update

Similar to the email they sent me. Overclocking of a processor, blah,blah.
I am lead to believe that these screen issues don’t affect all Novas and NDX2’s. Tends to manifest itself in more recent 2020 models ( built with different hardware). Which is why some in here with earlier models are not seeing the issues.
The firmware is now trying to fix issues in some models. And not bugger up stuff in others. Good luck with that.
And, the release is still 10 plus days away. I’m told.

FWIW - I am currently running Version: 3.5.1 (4972) and with the Yello album 'Point" streaming on Qobuz and just starting the 5th track ‘Arthur Spark’ the NDX 2 performed a re-boot. After the reboot completed I started the album again with the fourth track and now playing through the 5th track without a problem.

First re-boot that has occurred since I installed the 3.5.1 release. Not sure of the date but it does seem like weeks ago.

1 Like

I had seen your post, the memory leak is new :slight_smile:
Makes sense that newer models may have different parts here and there, in particular with Covid going on, and the overclocking may just be a difference in that hardware. May well be that not all new units have the issue either, the processor may just have less tolerances in some. The memory leak, well, software bugs happen and this is tricky stuff. My 2019 NDX2 also seems rock solid.

10 days and “in the next couple of weeks” seem consistent

New or old NDX2?

People have been waiting for weeks, months, years: so far, Naim has not been able to fully fix the freeze issues. Hope dies last, of course. But, after a certain point, it dies and the damage is done.

Sure, we’ll see

I looked at the serial number listing on the Naim web site and from the serial number on the box it would be a late 2018 build which was ordered in January 2019 and installed in March. So not sure if that is considered a new or old NDX 2.

Thanks. I believe in this context it counts as old, as a hypothesis was (see posts above) that it might affect predominantly 2020 units. The NDX2 was first released in 2018 I believe. As mentioned, have had no troubles in the one week that I have my 2019-built NDX2. The more recent, probably 2020, Nova I had on loan before the NDX2 did suffer quite many troubles

1 Like

I have a 2018 NDX2. I have had zero problems with screen freeze, but, I had one stutter and reboot.

1 Like

The screen freezes and random reboots have been fixed in the last two firmware updates, remember people…

2 Likes

New effectively means built during lockdown1.
Or, once the factory got back to working, albeit differently than normal.

Different as in not the usual parts suppliers, different build locations and less than optimal QA and QC arrangements. In short not what Naim would normally choose to do.
This has resulted in a number of machines into the market that have issues. Some of which are, straight forward supplier quality ones, poor screens, poor Naim logos etc. These will or have had the items swapped out. ( if highlighted by the customer).
My ndx2 has been identified as " different than normal" . And if the next firmware does not fix my screen freeze/blank issues will be swapped for new.
Which is why 3.5.2 is taking longer than promised. There are biggish implications if it doesn’t work for factory quality.

Some people here have been claiming that Naim has changed some parts/hardware in the streamers; that new ones are different than older ones. Is there any proof of this? Or, is it just speculation?

I believe only Naim can answer that question.
Sometimes, just like in audio gear, forums generate distortion

I’m not aware of this being the case. I have asked Naim to comment or clarify.

1 Like

My ND555 is from the latter part of 2018 and has had several screen freeze problems and four random reboots, so I do not think these problems are in any way solely the domain of the newer units. I have found that the artwork freeze can easily be fixed by performing a power cycle, so although annoying (I’ve had these roughly once a fortnight from day one), it’s not as bad as the random reboot, which is a pretty fundamental issue in my view. That said, I know that the technical team at Naim are working hard to solve this and I am confident they will. After all, as far as I am aware, no one ever had a random reboot before firmware v3.5.

2 Likes

My dealer has had this first hand from Naim.
Lockdown and Naim’s desire to keep production moving, along with a less than successful (quality ) supply chain has led to some compromises being made.

I’m sorry, but your dealer certainly did NOT get this straight from Naim. Because it’s not true!

I can confirm there’s no truth in the ‘different hardware’ theory.

The overwhelming majority of users are enjoying Naim streaming products without any problems. We are seeing a very, very low level of reported issues, but are committed to explore fixes for anyone that contacts us via our Tech Support channels.

For example, we are currently working to fix the random reboot issue a few people are suffering from: it looks like there is more than one cause, and that the issue can also affect the display, which could be why some people are experiencing display problems.

It seems there are certain fringe-use cases that can cause the reboot problem. Hence, why some people think it’s fixed and others not (one of the causes has been fixed but it looks like there’s another cause).

We’ll continue to keep you updated, but – as ever – should you be experiencing any issues with any Naim product, contacting our Support team should be your priority.

8 Likes

Good, and thanks for the clarity.

My ndx2 appears to have lost interest in rebooting itself. However a frozen or more usually a blank screen is an everyday occurrence. Looking forward to the firmware fixing this issue.

Do you have a date for this fix please.

I’ve been promised an ETA from our software team on Monday - i’ll update everyone then.

3 Likes

Clare, my ND555 had a relay fault that was repaired Salisbury have Naim changed suppliers of the relays that they were using that were causing the problems?