New Focal & Naim App

I don’t know exactly if the new Naim app installation is to blame or not, but immediately after installing it I am experiencing massive streaming problems. Absolutely wishing I could revert to previous version. Brgds.

2 Likes

I always update apps manually - so many apps over the years (non-Naim) have brought unwelcome changes such as radical functionality changes, subscription models replacing previous lifetime in-app payment upgrades or simply a worse user experience. Philips (Hue controller), GoodReader (document manager) and Withings health related devices are a few examples.

If apps are working well with no upgrade benefit or critical bug/security fixes I generally wait until I have to. New Apple OS upgrades have always been notoriously flakey on initial release.

3 Likes

Had similar problems and the only way I could sort it was finding the ip address for my 272, the Innuos server and then inputting each address manually into each respective app.

1 Like

I’m not that keen on the new icon to be honest, though I’d imagine this might evolve with time.

I don’t know if it’s feasible, but if an app’s icon could be ‘skinnable’ by an in-app setting that might be an ideal way forward for those who want Focal & Naim, Naim alone or Focal alone. Suspect that might not fly from a corporate viewpoint though would undoubtedly please users to have options.

I don’t know why but I often struggle with icons in general - maybe it’s all the changes to stock icon appearance on iOS/macOS over the years, but so many simply to me are very unintuitive in terms of what the app actually is/does.

You also sometimes end up with a batch of similar looking icons organised together from a similar category.

I still believe it makes sense for the sister companies to share pooled software development resources.

4 Likes

While I don‘t own a Naim streamer anymore, the app is still installed on my iPad and was just updated.
The German translations on the intro screen can certainly be improved. Not sure about other languages.

Exactly, caused myself inconveniences in the past with auto updates. :cry:

1 Like

I have found that, with the new app, on my iPad (iPadOS 15.7) the bottom bar (volume +/-, mute) flashes and does not function.
On my iPhone (iOS 16.0.2) the bottom bar in the app functions as it should. Of course, I am unable to access my servers in the app whilst running iOS 16, so I tend not to use the iPhone app.
Anyone else have this problem, or know of a fix?

Edit: I’ve restarted the app and it seems OK at the moment.

Again, why are we naim users forced on any Focal (brand) messages and a weirdly blended app now? Does any naim-focal manager have a clue about brand values triggering complex customer loyalty and buying behaviour?

Naim has built a very strong niche brand with convincing product and technology propositions over a long period of time - but this ‚brand promise’ cannot just simply be merged with some unclear Focal messages coming out of the marketing blue…. Sorry, this is a confusing approach and a clear no-go for naimies like me who spent a lot of money for premium products with a clear brand proposition!

Besides that, this „new“ app was heavily announced but does not reflect nor show any tangible new feature or quality improvements …. What’s this app version really good for? Just unclear functions&features/release information with some weird marketing intro-trailers only ….

Sorry, naim - please be alerted that you are starting to endanger your brand and market standing if you are not able to further develop and fulfill clearly and convincingly your brand-, technology and product quality promises!

Please give us top notch products, features and (sound) quality with the famous naim-DNA - this only will make us naim disciples happy (and also your investors in the long run). Cheers.

23 Likes

Why is everyone getting so het up over a logo? If that were the biggest issue this app has, wouldn’t it be great? Just try to put things into perspective, no one is forcing you to buy anything from Focal.

(I think there are bigger issues with the app BTW, but those have little to do with this release)

4 Likes

Very much a case of style over substance, a glamorous model dashing towards her twin prop private plane having hopped out of a Bentley may be the market they’re aiming for here but there aren’t many of those sorts of customers out there.
OK, they launched some headphones and having one “brand” app to manage various devices does make some sense, but having a headphone management app separate isn’t a big deal either really.
What possible benefit do I get from the odd images of models doing weird things with their arms in being able to listen to music quickly and easily and with minimal fuss.
The Linn app by comparison is clean and simple and rarely goes flaky.

3 Likes

The “new app” works excellent for me. Also nice design. Well done Naim :blush::+1::notes:

5 Likes

Basically fully agreed with you - naim should have already delivered a state of the art app without any glitches and shortcomings it undoubtedly and unfortunately still has…

But this is not just a logo topic: naim seems to lose their product management independence! Co-branding and ‚logo’ changes sound like a normal/minimal organizational change but in reality this might change their whole product strategy and capabilities with high risks of disadvantages and blunders …

Just imagine if eg. Porsche would start advertising Volkswagen …

I personally am really shocked and frightened how unprofessional naim is handling an obviously planned brand-transfer or -synergy attempt without considering our naim hard core customer perception.

4 Likes

Don’t you think that you are overreacting to this? It’s only an app.

3 Likes

I have to say I’m not really worried about this. As a relative newcomer to Naim compared to many here I still have a lot of history, starting with red LED Nait in 1985, I see a splash screen video I have to skip once, a two brand group sensibly combining their resources to have all app controlled devices under one app, and a change to the logo on the icon. I’m not seeing Naim brand damage here at all for me. The app now shows pictures of my devices instead of line drawings, that’s the only difference I see apart from the icon change, I don’t need to (and don’t know how to) look at the Focal section at all.

7 Likes

Hmmm - I spent 100K on naim equipment … with never ending app annoyances and now new confusing brand communication … not worth a clear customer statement?

2 Likes

Of course it would be so easy to have the SW developers to have a Front End for Naim, and another for Focal, with the same backend code, but perhaps it really depends on what joint products they are developing for the future.

I agree, Naim’s branding and marketing strategies and propositions need looking at, but I suspect it’s a case of a small company, with limited resource, trying not to look like a small company with limited resources. In the end the products are good, I just try to ignore the hype that actually detracts from the products and service.

Wouldn’t necessarily disagree with that- it’s just the use of the phrase ‘shocked and frightened’. There are plenty of things in the world to be shocked and frightened about but I don’t think hifi is one of them

3 Likes

Kill the heretic. :grinning:

3 Likes

Right you are - exactly that will be the critical question: who will get the needed resources, ie. man-material-budget, to further develop and improve a) loudspeakers/headphones/etc. or b) streaming platforms/codecs/SQ/security/etc.

This requires a clear plan (strategy) and professionel communication (to existing and new customers) accordingly…