New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

@anon4489532 yes Nigel but has anyone ever seen a Naiad let alone heard one?

The original Systemdek Transcription deck was designed to rival the Sondek, Dais, Logic, Pink Triangle etc… The Systemdek II (aka the cake tin) took the basic subchassis design and cut back everything else to a minimum, including lighter platter, enabling it to be sold at a cheaper price - much cheaper in fact, and it was for a time a serious bargain. The Systemdek III was an improved and updated version of the original Systemdek and saw improved springs and a slightly dished platter and integral clamp. This was also applied to a “Super” version of the II called the IIS, which, while still keeping the cake tin looks, added the heavy dished platter and clamp and other improvements. Combined with a tonearm like an Ittok this was a superb deck and well worth picking up if you see one - many mistake it for the more basic II, and price it accordingly, but the IIS is in a different class.

Successor to the III was the rather odd IV. The most common Systemdek though was the successor to the II, the IIX. Like the IV, this used a traditional style plinth, was built down to a low entry level price but it could perform way beyond its class. It’s my favourite deck recommendation for anyone looking to start out into vinyl in a serious way without wanting to spend huge money.

6 Likes

I’ve seen a couple - one complete, and one being packaged at the factory - but not heard one yet.

2 Likes

I was not referring to the Naiad. I do know someone who has one.

Thanks for the detail, Richard, appreciated. I think it was the IIX that I heard, but IIRC I’m sure it was some sort of a posher version than standard, fitted with an external power supply, or it could have been tweaked by Kevin in some way, although it was a while ago so my mind could be playing tricks.

The IIXE is what I run, it has an external PSU that allows switching between speeds

And added PSU picture!

Sorry for thread drift - I do love my Systemdek though :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Richard,
I hope I was understood…The Linn Kandid did not match the diameters of the metal sleeves that coming out from the Aro…
I would love to hear (if any) about this experience from forum members.

Regards

Are the pins on the Equinox cartridge not standard?

Appear to be bigger

There’s a bit of variation in diameter of cartridge pins between manufacturers and maybe between models too. The pins on my SPU N are distinctly narrower than those on my DV17D3. On the latter quite a bit of pressure was required to push them on and a lot of care needed not to bend them in the process, on the former the clips just slide on without seeming to grip at all but there must be just enough as there’s never been a crackle. I resisted the temptation to crimp them up a bit.

My take on this is that the pin diameter is not really standardised, between manufacturers. Its a very long time since I did this - I have left the problem to the relevant dealer, since the late 70’s… :slightly_smiling_face:

Has anyone who received their Solstice noticed any problems with it yet?

Also, do you set tracking force with the mat off using the Naim scales (as per the manual) or with the mat in place? I’ve noticed that if I set the tracking force to 2.3g with the mat off and then measure it with the mat on, I get a reading of around 3g! The mat is about 2mm thick (about the same as standard vinyl?) and the distance from base to scale platform is around 3mm which kind of agrees with the manual that tracking force should be set with the mat off , but I’d welcome all feedback on this.

Mat off NaimMan. Also don’t forget that you have to ease off the grub screw directly behind the pívot before altering the VTA adjustment sleeved pillar.

Just for the sake of information I checked the Equinox stylus rake angle with my digital microscope and with the ARO arm tube parallel with the LP it was at 97 degrees. A lot of you guys will know that 92 degrees is ideal matching the angle that LP’s are cut at. So it needed to be slightly lower than horizontal at the pivot end.

Thanks Cohen1263!

I take it you’ve had no teething trouble with your Solstice Cohen1263?

Not as such. But I was hoping for a sound that was clearly better than my ND555 and it wasn’t. Different but on a par I’d say in SE guise.

I’m expecting, this coming week, my IC to be returned to me after having the Din changed from 5 to 4 pin so I can use with my Supercap / Superline into S1. I will report back as and when.

3 Likes

Is that a realistic hope?

I do find a lot of similarities in presentation between the ND555 and Solstice tt, but I hesitate to go further trying to compare the two towards a “better” comparison. I just find digital and vinyl too different to compare as such; too much apples vs. oranges.

1 Like

Like I wrote they are different but on a par.

I feel that my hope was based on previous experiences of vinyl v digital. Vinyl had always been superior. But IMO the ND555 with “ belts and braces” set up is a superb device.

I’ve had an recent uplift in sound quality which could be the 808’s at the seven week burn in point or the S1 at eleven weeks. But which or whatever, yesterday I enjoyed the best sound quality that I’ve ever experienced in my home and it was via streaming.

4 Likes

Arrived and assembled everything perfect. Beatiful bass now deserves quality vinyl

44 Likes

The solstice power supply is moved to the opposite side usually from the photos it is near the turntable. I believe it does not affect. True