New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Thank you for doing this Nigel!

1 Like

110db posted this comparing the Superline and NVC TT, which I thought seemed pretty honest!

2 Likes

I’m sorry it’s not more positive. If I was a Solstice owner I’d take comfort from the fact that adding weight to the headshell isn’t hard. As the arm was presumably optimised for the weight of the Equinox, if I wanted to use a cartridge that weighted 6g less, I’d just add a 6g lead weight - like those used on alloy wheels. That would leave the counterweight at the same distance from the pivot, effective mass etc would remain the same and it should all work happily. Some of the design decisions do seem a bit potty, but it is what it is and there is a simple solution.

Jas Gould echoed Steve’s judgement when I first broached the subject. Both are good guys who I trust.

2 Likes

This argument that the cartridge can’t be changed because the solstice is a packaged system is nonsense.

The packaged system contains a phono stage that allows adjustment to accommodate a vast number of cartridges.

3 Likes

So the phono stage is flexible, but the arm isn’t.

1 Like

Is your lp12 stock or have you “improved it”?

2 Likes

Yes

Yes
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think at least part of the rationale behind the NVC TT was to have a new phono stage. It seems to integrate with NSC222 and NAC332 pretty nicely, and adding the NPX300 gives the NVC a dedicated rail IIRC from a post from 110db. So I suspect it was designed to fit into the NC range in a way the Superline and Stageline won’t. More rationalisation. Maybe the NVC is the only phono stage Naim will produce going forward?

1 Like

Actually in effect I only bought the deck and arm Bart. I had an agreement with my dealer for them to credit me for the rest of the Solstice package as I bought XV1t/ 300 ps and Superline/ Supercap. The Solstice/ ARO2 actually cost me around £10k GBP so the majority of the money that I’ve spent on my vinyl front end is on those replacements.

Based on the what seems high RRP’s for the recently independently released Solstice Phono/PS (the Equinox is around a £2k cartridge at retail) upgrading shouldn’t break the bank for anyone going forward with the relatively good residuals.

All the upgrades were worthy IMO. The caveat being the tweaks needed.

1 Like

From what I understand the npx300 only connects to the table, not to the phono pre

Correct

Sorry, I meant that when the NPX300 is used to power the NSC222 or NAC332, then one of the rails is used for the powered 8 pin DIN. The phono stage receives a dedicated feed like the Superline powered 52/252. IIUC

1 Like

Ah ok

This isn’t quite the post I recall, but hints that’s what’s going on

I am delighted that someone on this thread pointed how silly the line ‘it is sold and intended to be used as a package’ really is. The package includes a phone stage capable of supporting mm or mc cart, high or low level mc, and a ton of reistance and capacitance combinations of mc carts. If it was only to be used with an Equinox it would not include such a phone stage.

I’m out in terms of considering the Solstice. In my view Naim has somehow pulled deafeat from the jaws of victory. They had a beautiful design, amazing ‘Naim’ sound, and blew it based on packaging. No committment to the availabilty of the Equnox, no ability to use the arm with most of the carts people use with high end turntables, all or nothing approach ro the package itself. Really honestly this is a suprising mess. Nobody who knows Naim as the great company that it is would have predicted this would have these problems. It really is shocking to me…just calling a spade a spade. For those who carried on and made it work with$9000 cart, the Sline stage, the anti skate magnet, the wire issue on the cart, etc carts i salute you - you have something extraordinary.

3 Likes

I can tell you from first-hand experience it works well with the package cart and phone stage.

Like much else in hi fi, there is potential to eek out improvements.

1 Like

Bart i believe you. In fact i know your statement is true because as i noted i went to the dealer and listened to it. It is an amazing table. But it is undone by packaging and crazy issues. The Eqinox is not on any price list and when you need to replace it in 3 years you may get another reply from Clearaudio to contact Naim. Naim does not make carts so what to do. Get your $9000 ready for the heaviest Dyna or Lyra you can find and buy a magnet for the antiskate and be prepared to fiddle with the pins and wires. Really this is a mess. An absolutely great product undone by the most ridiculous issues any of us have ever seen on a any turntable at any price point full stop.

3 Likes

Naim should have stock of the Equinox from what I read further up the thread. It would be out of character for them not to keep stock I think. NLA screens and CD mechanisms notwithstanding.

For how long? Does the suspension deteriorate in storage? As a purchaser do i know there is a cartridge available for me for the next 10 years so this turntable does not become a door stop when i can’t lay out $9000 for a replacement. Really i can’t see how any potential purchaser buys this turntable with this issue hanging overhead. Not for 20k; indeed not for half that.

Sorry to just say it like it is…i am long term Naim…love the company…indeed i love the turntable itself…but i just literally cannot believe this entire situation

1 Like