New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

HamburgSteinwayB and Geo who both now own A Solstice are different people with different stands and different systems

1 Like

I have no axe to grind, as my TT is not a LP12, but I think the comparison should be between the Solstice and a Klimax LP12. The LP12 that you are making a comparison with is well behind Linn"s best.

3 Likes

The photo of the SSE on the Quadraspire X-Reference is not of my system, that is the second SSE installation in Toronto that I am aware of. I have two huge stacks of of the old-school Quadraspire. It is also a great rack but I have been able to secure a near equal number of full Fraim pieces to try out. A few years ago in another city and system I had the Quadraspire Bamboo X-reference and was mightily impressed by the solidity and improvement that it brought to the sound over the standard Quadraspire with Naim Classic gear at the time. Alas, when moving back, I sold it on to another happy Naim user. In my experience, all racks have issues of some sort. For me, I have pushed things to the limit with the Quadraspire and will be relocating various boxes from my main set-up when the Fraim is installed.

12 Likes

Ooops, Bass, not base, @#$# autocorrection software!

Okay, thanks, now I understand. Very interesting.

It’s working :grinning:

1 Like

It may behind the current level of Linn that can be purchased but with the various upgrades over the years (the LP12 originally started off life in the mid '80’s with a Basik arm and Grace F9E) and going through the Cirkus/Vahalla/Ittok/Asaka/Lingo/new Linn subchassis (can’t remember which upgrade that was)/new bearing (can’t remember that one’s name either)/new subplatter/Klyde/Trampoline/new Linn tonearm cable/ recapping the Lingo and other bits and pieces from Linn over the years coupled with regular servicing charges, all converted into 2021 $$$ is considerably more than the cost of the SSE. The LP12 owes me nothing, it has served well over time and will continue to do so, if not in this system in another system. Just because something is older does not mean it is not “good”. The Linn upgrade cycle has become tiring and expensive, the cost of upgrading to a Keel/Magic PS (or whatever it is called now)/Trampoline2/new plinth and Akiva cartridge etc. to bring the Linn up to current spec was off-putting and the investment in the deck somewhat excessive. Yes I could have purchased a new current LP12 Klimax but the number of dealers has shrunk significantly over here, wait times exceedingly long and the availability/quality of service harder to obtain along with it.

5 Likes

Thanks for this writeup and nice to see an active pair of NBL’s still in use. I bet they sound great with the SSE-TT.

1 Like

In fact, the endless expensive upgrades is why I stopped using the LP12…but, for the sake of fairness, the comparison should be with a Klimax LP12, which can be purchased as such.

The NBLs sound great. With the SSE-TT or the LP12 playing the Reference Recordings Saint Saens organ concerto you can feel the long organ pedal notes, but the there is definitely more feel and a more natural feel with the SSE-TT. The NBLs can move an incredible amount of air, feels like being in the concert hall (Roy Thompson Hall here) when the orchestra is playing this piece on the big organ.

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only one who feels that way about the LP12. However I fear the number of Linn Klimax LP12s may be fewer than the SSE-TTs available on this side of the Atlantic. I do not know of any dealer where I am that will have either on display or available for comparison. Any such head to head comparison will have to come from somewhere else and most likely I would think from the UK or from an audiophile with deep pockets.

Agreed… and that these two TTs are both going to sound great, but different. If I were going to chose between the two, I would want a long home demonstration. I would not need to do side by side comparisons, I would simply decide which of the two I preferred to listen two over a longer period.

Unfortunately I do not know of a dealer willing to provide such an opportunity. Seems that some distributors have very short “grace” periods for their dealers to pay up after they receive the product, making such opportunities for long term home trials virtually non-existent. If you are fortunate to have a dealer willing to do such an audition, great, go for it. I know this is talked a lot about on the forum, but long term auditioning at home is not a reality or possibility for most potential purchasers for many, varied reasons and on “big” ticket items in particular. Seems it is much easier to arrange on amps and streamers and less likely the more delicate, more expensive items like TTs.

…I think that, in this respect, we are fairly lucky in the UK. I would not expect to be provided with the two TTs, my assumption was that the potential buyer would already own the LP12.

1 Like

One made it to the Boston area. Hope to get it up and running today yet.

16 Likes

Hi Bart,
You doing the install yourself or is your dealer setting it up for you? In any case, couple of hints:

1. watch the you tube video on setting it up
  2. definitely open all packages before you put the gloves on.
  3. read the setup manual in the TT box and watch the video again afterwards
  4. The absolute last step is connecting the power cord to the TT PS. The entire group (TT, Phono Preamp and PS) all power up immediately and go into standby mode. Be prepared for the lights (very bright) to come on as soon as the PS power cord is connected to the socket.
  5. Check your Accessories box (labeled as such) for the “Naim True Stereo” LP. It should be in the LP sleeve that is part of the back of the front cover of the SSE book that is in the Accessories kit. To my knowledge, this LP has been missing from the units shipped to North America. Hopefully this will not be the case for you.
  6. Should take about 45 min to an hour to unpack and set everything up. Don’t rush, take your time.
  7. Most important, Enjoy!
3 Likes

Awesome Bart!!! Again congratulations. Can’t wait to hear your results…

Hi Geofiz,

How does the special book look? Haven’t seen any pics—yet.

Cheers

OA

The book is well made, essentially a 40 pg coffee table picture book with dimensions the size of an LP Jacket and as thick as a boxed set of LPs for an opera like Aida (so about 1cm thick). There is a spot to put your Certificate of Authenticity on the first page. Covers the concept and development of the SSE from the Julien Vereker days through to the current product. The TT, phono stage, PS and cartridge are all discussed with very well reproduced, mostly B&W photography. Some of the photos have been used in the brochures and promotional material circulated, but they are nicely collated along with a non-technical discussion of the development of the entire SSE package and with comments from the actual developers of the SSE.

1 Like

Thanks! Is there a link to that video?