New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Oui! My wife’s name is Marie. Fits.

We use the French pronunciation. Bien sur.

2 Likes

Any cheap pen pushed into the spindle hole and rotated a bit will do the same trick (of expanding the hole). Not wanting to step on anyone’s toes here, but if ever there was an unnecessary tool this has got to be the one (though as with all things from Clearaudio it’s of great quality and finish).

1 Like

I disagree with your assessment. If I spend a lot of money on a nice reissue I want the right tool for the job if needed, and don’t want to accidentally push the hole too big with the wrong tool for the job.

I have a $100k+ system and a 4000+ LP record collection. $50 for the LP Drill does not stand as an unnecessary accessory, and is not a great expense considering the bigger picture. When I need it it’s a very welcome accessory. I suppose if you only have a handful of records then it might be a bitter pill to take buying one, but that’s not necessarily so true for a lot of collectors.

6 Likes

:relaxed: yes JDP, we replied almost simultaneously… Nice accessory, It is not so rare to have to use It… A clever suggestion from Clearaudio to Naim…?

1 Like

Lots of people called Louis in other countries…

1 Like

Why didn’t they make the spindle a standard size?

That is the standard size for a spindle.

Some people open a beer bottle with a Bic lighter
Lol
I understand where your coming from but the tool does a nice job.

Ah - I thought you were saying it was not a standard size.
In the days that I had turntables (Garrard (two different ones), Pioneer, Rega etc.) I only ever came across one LP that had a slightly tight hole. Is it more common nowadays?

It’s not all that common, but common enough if you collect records on a regular basis. I find that newer heavier weight vinyl have more frequent issues with spindle holes than older records, although it happens with the latter too. Sometimes you just get a record where the spindle hole has some extra flashing that didn’t get trimmed properly.

Pro Tip: when using the drill, be sure to brush the record surface very carefully on both sides. That removed flashing has a static charge that is easily attracted to the record surface. I actually try to catch what gets trimmed off as it’s cut away with the drill.

That drill can also be used sometimes to correct records that are drilled slightly off-center, but I don’t usually bother since that’s a rather drastic measure, IMO.

Cannot believe no-one has suggested the new thread:

“Clearaudio record drill, brilliant or bollocks?”

3 Likes

It could be a very useful tool making a small correction to an LP pressed slightly off centre. You carefully check the rotation and mark the offset with a pencil mark then ream out against the edge where you put the pencil mark. This tool would doubtless make the task of reaming out the hole much easier. I want one!

1 Like

We specified the list of accessories we needed - based on the ones we thought were most useful - and worked with Clearaudio on them. The LP drill is a really useful tool, especially on heavyweight releases - used one on a new purchase just this weekend!

4 Likes

I’m gratified that my opinion of the tool has Naim’s blessing. :slight_smile:

I bought this tool many (8 or so?) years ago, and this wasn’t the first time I’ve been mocked or criticized for acquiring it, but my collection doesn’t care what people think. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well done then…! :smiley: When I saw the picture posted I understood that every detail of the Solstice has been carefully weighed… Chapeau!

1 Like

Ok, reading my post again I could probably have been more diplomatic - but certainly no intention to mock anyone. Seems I stuck my hand in a :honeybee: nest here :wink:

2 Likes

No worries, the mocking I referred to was from elsewhere. That’s a forum I abandoned long ago, in part, for its elitist/know-it-all attitudes from many members.

I thought you were just criticizing, but if you aren’t an avid, long-time record collector like I am I can see where you might think the tool is excessive. It costs about $50, the price of a boutique 45 RPM reissue. I think that Naim included it for a $20k turntable package was most appropriate in any case. :slight_smile:

$50? Gosh. £3.00 for a 7.3mm drill bit. A wooden dowel of suitable diameter, drilled with the same bit, stick the drill bit in the hole and Voila! Perhaps I should go into production…

2 Likes

Go for it. I have no regrets buying mine.

Each to their own I suppose. People pay ungodly amounts for ethernet cables. I use $20 Blue Jeans cables that meet spec and work great. :man_shrugging:

1 Like