New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I must admit I’m not totally convinced by the white logo. I do love the looks of my Nova with one, but I’m not a huge fan yet of the look on the Solstice black boxes. I suppose as I still run olive amps maybe I’m just slow to adapt to change.
Overall I do like the look of the Solstice, it’s a classy package, I’m not tempted to replace my TMS, but if I were in the market for a new TT it’d be high on my list for a demonstration.

1 Like

No you wouldn’t! …it’ll be interesting to compare the brushed steel finish on the Solstice with the 500 cases, and see if Naim have changed the shade of black, either through polishing differently or a different process.

The boxes look shorter than the current 500 range, which - if that’s the new Naim height - will present design changes based on that forced limitation throughout the new 500 and Classic ranges.

Nor am I To be honest. We will see how it looks, having it dimmable is good, but I’m trying to imagine how a stack of 7 Naim boxes all with White logos will look in a darkened room. It’s a concern.

1 Like

Which dealer is that FR?

Yes, the LEDs on my Vertere boxes (PSU and phono amp) are starkly bright in the evening. Luckily for me I have a T-shaped room and hide the turntable and electronics at one end of the cross-piece, otherwise in my usual lamp-lit room they’d be visually intrusive. Assuming this is Naim’s new look, I wonder if they’d consider an optional green filter which could be slotted in front of the white logo for traditionalists.

1 Like

There was a similar discussion in the HiFiKabin regarding the very bright blue light on the Akurate Radikal and how this could be attenuated. The solution in that case was some translucent low-stick stickers which users could place over the LED. Maybe larger translucent green stickers will be the solution in this case.

5 Likes

Maybe because the speakers are oversized :grin:

Naim should make an AV style Fraim. A one piece Fraim much wider.

Maybe the green logos Naim lights should be brighter? Or white.

Hamburg, Germany

1 Like

Naim did. They made a handful of pre-production double-width AV units, one of which may well still be in the factory. IIRC the feeling was that the price was high and demand would be too limited to make it feasible. There were also some CD racks made in the same Fraim style. I have some pics somewhere.

Maybe Naim should reconsider it again, to accommodate on one shelf the Solstice and the 2 ps?
In an av Fraimlite form maybe.
If you find some pics, it would be interesting.

Thanks.

This is the fella.

6 Likes

That’s the one. It was designed to accommodate a Naim Axent centre channel speaker as well.

In black and white, should be cool for the Solstice….and probably the next generation Naim components.

The day after I bought my Radikal I spent £4.99 on a set of these to dim it’s 1,000,000 candlepower retina burning intensity down to something more normal.
Job done. :+1:

3 Likes

That would suit my needs perfectly @Richard.Dane if there’s one kicking about!

G

Very nice it is too…

I’m the absence of Naim being up for it - some enterprising person could make the wooden shelves as an aftermarket component. Maybe even in CNC’d bamboo for a sonic upgrade. Just add Naim bits.

They’d likely sell a fair few.

1 Like

Those are the ones which were recommended in the Kabin IIRC.

Can’t speak specifically to NAIM, but I can speak to Linn. Linn dealers in the US don’t do home installations (with one or two extremely rare and notable exceptions). And as far as long distance sales/support is concerned, Linn gets pissy with dealers who try to do this for customers - they expect you to drive 12 hours to “your nearest Linn dealer” to buy their products.

Arrogant? Chauvinistic? Xenophobic?

1 Like