New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Maybe another switch for white or green logo :thinking:.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m sure that would have been a popular decision. I’m probably in a minority here, but I like the new case style and white logo. It’ll be interesting to see how this translates to a full width case design.

5 Likes

Hi Bart,
It’s really good (for Naim) that there is a dimmer setting for the white LEDs. May your new Solstice bring you many hours of delightful use.

This issue of excessively bright white or blue illumination is not just a Naim issue at all; far from it.

Our phono stage has bright blue LEDs, which we have covered with small round blobs of white tack.

With our new amp, the lights are normally switchable between very bright turquoise (inside as well as the front globe!) and fairly bright green. Fortunately, the manufacturer customised the lighting for us, so we have a choice between fairly bright green and off.

When we listen to music, it’s all about the music, not distractingly illuminated electronics.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

I’m sure there will be howls of protest from some, just like there was when the current ‘white light’ Unitis arrived. I’m sure it was just the same with Olive and Classic.

2 Likes

I would have thought that it might look better if the plinth were much thicker and the platter set down into it.

1 Like

All hi-fi manufacturers take note !!

The dimming of lights, and better still + an on/off option worth incorporating in all your products !

1 Like

It has long seemed strange to me that so many high-tech bits of kit have bright lights, but the labels on the buttons and other controls are dark grey on black. Some of the kit I have is almost unreadable, even with a really bright torch aimed at the writing.

I’ve lived with red leds for years.
I find the blue ones feel as if they go into my brain without passing my eyes, very different type of light.
I was surprised that dimming my Naim amp and CD displays does not dim the logo.
But the green is nicer than the others.

Does the Solstice have to be tuned up every now and then like the Linn Sondek, or is it pretty much maintenance free ?

2 Likes

And I wonder if it will be open and subject to 3rd party modifications?

It appears to me to be rather maintenance free. The bearing is pure Clearaudio – so however often those need another couple of drops of oil, this will. Which will involve lifting the platter to expose the top bearing surface, applying oil, and replacing the platter.

We all have our own tolerance for such, and it does seem reasonable for all to build in an ‘off’ option for front panel lighting.

The ‘airliner cockpit at night’ theme impresses some and drives others mad!

I’ve long been a proponent of ‘looks matter; it’s not just the sound’ and whilst we vetoed McIntosh a decade ago because we didn’t want huge vu meters, it’s all fair game.

3 Likes

Yes, Solstice was expressly designed to be hugely less hassle to set-up and maintain than some other high-end turntables.

7 Likes

Hi Bart,
Seconded. I tried very hard not to mention them specifically, but they do seem to be the most illuminated (euphemism) of all hifi brands. For this reason alone, they would not be allowed into the house so I haven’t even tried :grin:

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It could be quite hard to remove it if the polished sides are all you have to get hold of and you want to remove it to move the deck.

Ach it’s easy just turn it upside down and give it a shake

1 Like

I’m sure that Naim could come up with a special removal tool.

Or design out the need for one.

If you like lights, bright and multicoloured, you have the Megavox multimedia sound system.

If they start marketing a Naim Aurora we will know to be suspicious

2 Likes