New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Just Say No. You know it makes sense.

Solstice platter? You just grab it by gripping with fingers underneath. Not an issue. It’s heavy but certainly lift-able with 2 hands this way.

I think that a lot of guessing in this thread leads to a lot of dis-information. If I’m following.

2 Likes

The video says that you have to be very careful when you put down the platter .

Sense is relative….but I say NO too.

True; we lower it gently, which is not an issue. Simply because we don’t want it to “bounce” on its magnetically-levitating bearing and either bounce off the plinth and/or dislodge the belt from the subplatter.

If you’ve ever gently set own a very full cup of tea or glass of beer you can do this.

2 Likes

18.09. … :blush:

will be driven by an Devialet Expert 440pro CI, Speaker are still in the vote.

Very exciting…

atb, Tom

2 Likes

It makes sense. I doubt someone will try to drop the platter on the subplatter like a basket ball. :grin:

1 Like

That comment was in the context of a suggestion that it would look nicer if the plinth were deeper and the platter set into it, which would make gripping it underneath tricky.

Ahh – in that case a strong agreement!

1 Like

Fair enough. I never use my system in a pitch black room.

Why would you set down a full glass of beer? An empty one surely.

2 Likes

I wipe and re-oil the bearing and change the belt about once every year or so, and even that’s probably more often than necessary.

1 Like

Always keep a full glass as well as the one you’re drinking, so you don’t have the panic when you run out.

4 Likes

Having read large parts of the concurrent ‘unboxing’ thread, I wonder why Naim didn’t produce a detailed product walk-around video at the outset, rather than the not very informing ‘New dawn’ video (which must have costs a few bob), supplemented by this thread.

Surely, the ‘drool factor’ is better encouraged from close-ups and explanations of technical merits et al, than just producing a headline vid (with absent cabling!).

Simple answers to that question:
we didn’t have all the elements of Solstice Special Edition available before launch - we had a prototype that was fine for a lifestyle shoot/still photography, but not everything we needed for a deeper visual dive.

As soon as we had everything we needed, we produced the far more in-depth video, ahead of the first Solstice Special Edition units shipping.

We have discussed creating more content around Solstice, as/when we get the opportunity. At the moment, the single marketing unit is currently on demo duties at various events!

3 Likes

Can you turn it off completely??

I don’t think so - looks to be 3 settings

What I thought, I was really adding to the comments that maybe the bright led (?) lights should have an option to turn off. The Chrome Bumper range of leds had no dimming setting for the leds. But then they were not blue…or white…or bright…
Blue leds should be able to turn off, I find the blue very disturbing.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. A few subtle green or white lights work for me. Bright blue LEDs are awful !

Where’s the Green/White switch?