New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I think the ‘designed to be positioned like that’ is in an aesthetic context…

Because if there’s one think you should keep away from a delicate phono stage, it’s a PSU. Surely.

Anyway, they do look lovely in that beautifully lit promotional picture. Side by side

I don’t, because the previous “blasphemy” was never an aesthetic one

Hopefully David and Hamish in fine fettle

2 Likes

Interesting - OPTIMISED to be positioned like that, or designed that it doesn’t matter.

These things are important :wink::roll_eyes: ….At the moment I have them planned to go each on a dedicated Fraim level below the Turntable itself. So effectively “stacked” albeit each in a Fraim level of its own.

1 Like

That might be worse if the phono is directly above or below the ps. Normally you’d want the ps adjacent but on a separate stack.

If you have the space for it, go for it.

My point is, these two components were designed to be minimally compromised from sitting side by side. From internal layout to external casing, they are different to previous designs in many respects.

As with set up and use, we tried to make Solstice less daunting than many other high-end turntables, with endless rules etc.

3 Likes

Good on you Clare

You’ve said it a few times

Maybe they’ll get it this time

6 Likes

It may need more balloons.

9 Likes

I could compare the Solstice with Nd555 for two tracks, from two albums that are well recorded both in digital and vinyl. I know, 2 tracks is not enough…
I found the Solstice more laid back vs the Nd555, with less bass and details. But still the involving and organic sound we cherish.
My feeling is that the phono or cart are not on the same league. With a Superline / Supercap and better cart, the Solstice would have the edge I think.

2 Likes

Good one Adam - ha :smiley:

Hmm, i’ll wager a bet that isn’t going to happen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Surprising - I would have thought other way around

1 Like

I’d take cover @frenchrooster people here might string you up for such heresy. :grin:

2 Likes

Interesting, as I am thinking of one day trying my Linn Kandid cartridge (the best I have ever owned) in the mix along with my Superline/SsupercapDR.

Richard

1 Like

…don’t forget, FR, that conventional wisdom in getting the signal to the phono stage is that the TT is significantly more important than the arm…and that the arm is significantly more important than the cartridge.
Just sayin’.

1 Like

Yes, we know both that.
In this case, Naim tried to do the best they could for 17 k euros. It’s also easier to upgrade the phono or cart than the tt.

…but, using the rationale I described, substituting in ‘better’ arms or cartridges might not result in improved sound. Also, bear in mind that the package was (probably) developed together as a whole.

I thought you were saying the contrary. So we agree to disagree. It was developed in the limits of a certain budget, not because precisely that cart and phono are the best for that deck.

1 Like

I think that your hypothesis can be tested using different arms and cartridges…but I bet that using the standard arm will be the best.

I wonder if anyone has done this, say down in Salisbury or its environs?