New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Naim Aro can take much better cartridges . Some have top Benz, Dynavector or Lyra on their Aro.

I suspect that meeting the budget has a lot to do with the final spec of cartridge and phono stage in the Solstice bundle… The new Aro should be better than the previous which would lend itself nicely to a much higher level of cartridge than supplied with the deck. Matching a higher spec phono stage to that cartridge will be the fun part.
As far as the TT platform itself, I feel that Naim have provided an excellent bearing design with suitable motor and well thought out plinth- this should not be a limiting factor in upgrading cartridge/phono stage into the uber range. The Solstice as sold is just the beginning imo…there is a lot more to gain with some creative tinkering :sunglasses:

2 Likes

…it’s not a matter of ‘can take’…it’s a matter of ‘sounds best with’.

1 Like

The Solstice comes complete with cartridge and phono amplifier. So you just need an analogue input in your preamp.

For instance Rega P10. Apheta 3 and Aphelion are made for it. I heard them.
I get much better results and enjoyment with Lyra Kleos.

We will see in some months if you are right. But I am sure some will use Superline / Supercap and different / better carts and will testify as having a great uplift in sound.
No need to polemic further now.

…as long as it sounds good and you are enjoying your music, then that’s great.

1 Like

100% agree on people using a better cartridge as its an easy upgrade, as you can spend £16k on just a cartridge if you want. Plus the cartridge fitted is not high end and not even middle end really, and will be easy bettered.
Then I can see the phono stage being replaced with something that’s more in line to suit the cartridge.
That will leave you with just a turntable, arm and power supply and can see that becoming a option going forward.
But of course the solstice package has been built to a price and I guess that price is about half it’s selling price, to allow for profit for all parties involved, just like everything.

Sounds like it will be very easy to exceed the price of an Uber spec Fruitbox

Best
Gregg

1 Like

Yes and it is these I am interested in swapping out to hear how it performs with a Linn Kandid and Naim Superline/SupercapDR.

Richard

2 Likes

I agree as well on a cartridge upgrade. For a TT and phonostage of that spec I would expect something higher end, say a Clearaudio Concerto v2 or a Dynavector XX2 Mk II/Te Kaitora Rua. I use a DV XV-1s ($5650) with my Clearaudio and it is delicious with Naim electronics.

1 Like

Fascinating though this upgrade discussion is, have any of you actually heard a (properly set up and run in ) Solstice Special Edition package yet?

A lot of assumptions being made based on pricing and perceived value, rather than real-life performance, I feel :slight_smile:

25 Likes

It sounded bloody good to me, just as it is…….but others may differ.

5 Likes

I haven’t as yet, but I do know 2 that have and basically agree with above.
Both said that it sounds nice, (enjoyed, musical, naim like) but at the same time is not a detail machine and you can get both if you want from a turntable as I have found out.

3 Likes

Yes, brings everything together as a musical experience, with great vinyl quality (no pops etc) the system disappears.

Not yet, but hopefully very soon.

I am interested in hearing it with my existing and much loved Superline/SupercapDR and Kandid for comparative purposes . I recognise that such may upset the synergy of the Solstice package and may result in downgrade rather than any improvement.

As if I like it and Naim does release the Solstice as individual components it may become financially attractive as I will only need to by the deck, arm and power supply and sell on my LP12, arm and power supply to fund the balance.

Richard

1 Like

…and if it looks like selling/trading-in(?), the Linn kit isn’t financially attractive, you can consider demo’ing a TP Stiletto as an upgrade option for the LP12 (IMHO it does a lot for an LP12).

There goes the ‘upgrade path’

Next the green logo will go

1 Like

Perhaps you shouldn’t take my light hearted posts so seriously?

1 Like

Using US prices since I’m a Yankee, the Superline, SuoercapDR and a higher end cartridge like the Kandid are over 80% of the cost of the Solstice. Looking at the deck, bearing, Aro2 and power supply that look top notch its easy to see how some would come to the conclusion that the cartridge and phono stage were the areas they used to keep the cost down. I’m sure it sounds fantastic but adding the Superline, SupercapDR and Kandid would take it next level but also almost double the cost.

Make that a Superline/ Supercap and XV1T. That’s what I’m looking to try and hear. That should see off a belts and braces LP12.

1 Like