New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

One more thing about using it. The mat is a bit like a Linn, but thicker and stiffer, so no issues with static.

So, sound quality and it just sounds great. I won’t try to describe it in detail beyond saying I would be very happy to live with it. A different presentation from my LP12 but very nice. Unsurprisingly, it sounds how you would expect a high end Naim source to sound. I particularly liked the vocals.

I can confirm the dealer used white gloves.

3 Likes

Viewed/listened to the Solstice this week…

It does look better in the ‘flesh’, could live (just) with the platter…the new design/logo is well finished and attractive…against the ‘green eyes’ (which I love) it looks modern and clean - again could live with it, however maybe not as ‘mixed’ units.
The logos dim to a better looking level/white (imho).
The back right corner of the TT is pretty ‘busy’ lots going on there…the cue arm seems close to the arm. The Aro 2 looks very nice…more damped than the wobbly Aro 1.
The cartridge cover is the biggest I have seen.
Next to an LP12 its looks fresh/modern, the LP12 looks old/dated…

How did it sound…only prob 6hrs on the cartridge so a little bright at the top end, however lots of punch, slam, and ‘balls’…really nice bottom end…good vocals…very Naim.
Very different sound to an LP12 methinks…

A better cartridge would surely improve it further…

Look forward to when its available for general sale/separately.

s1

s4

18 Likes

Would that be Iain by any chance? If so, I’ve been hoping for years that he’d wear gloves when handling the boxes!

1 Like

finally!! actual ‘user’ experience!!!
enjoy/ken

1 Like

great photos!!!

2 Likes

I don’t really understand that mansplaining, because, in general, inside a discussion with someone, if you agree, you have 3 options :
-say yes

• repeat the same
  • say yes but….

It’s apparently a cultural meaning for UK people. We have no « mansplaining « expression here.

Maybe… but will bet you have it, nevertheless…

“The explanation of something by a man, typically to a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.”

Indeed :blush:

Well it’s gone now and I’m back a superb LP12

Keith - Ken :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I agree with everything you have said, except that it makes the LP12 look dated because the LP12 already looked dated, but perhaps not in a bad way.

Keith

2 Likes

Part of its charm, for me.

1 Like

…maybe in France…it’s secret from men!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a UK thing, more microaggressive (?) internet/social media stuff to put men down.

‘Manspreading’ is just as bad. (Look that up!)

I just don’t think these terms are particularly helpful, just divisive.

I think most women these days would tell a man ‘where to go’ if they were being patronising/condescending.

Oh, and I did notice Clare’s emoji which made me think it was a humorous comment.

2 Likes

After that little diversion, I reckon it’s time to get the discussion back on topic please. Thanks.

7 Likes

I’m interested to hear from anyone who uses full range speakers that play down in the low 20 Hz region how the Solstice does with the low end slam. Does it render the organ with convincing scale, tone, and impact?

We demonstrated Solstice with Focal Stella Utopia Evo, which extend down to 22Hz. Stunning bass with tracks such as Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy.

3 Likes

Thanks Clare. What amps did you use?

552/500 - and then switched to the Statement just to have some fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Girls they just gotta have fun….”. Sorry @clare no sexist intent!

1 Like

I’m interested in the multiple decoupling layers part of the design.

Does this process take some time and I assume is very labour intensive.
Reminds me a little bit of some of the plinths used for the Garrard 401.

3 Likes