New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Congratulations to everyone at Naim, such an exciting product! I came back into Vinyl at the start of the year and very much enjoying my LP12 but I could have easily have gone for this and who knows in the future.

These will sell out very quickly and will be a future icon!

Wish people would stop talking about a 272 replacement as it’s getting boring.

:joy::joy: …looking was as far as it got!

1 Like

I think to remember that the ceramic platter is not done at Rega factory, ?

Please accept my abject apologies for assuming that my writing “do all their own stuff inhouse” would lead you to assume they I was wrong because they don’t actually forge the metal or make the glass. I certainly did not want to mislead you.

Must look up the word ‘semantics’ to ensure I get things right in future…

1 Like

Mcintosh tt is also made by Clearaudio. But Naim NVS is much nicer.

6 Likes

I did not know that - but it makes sense.

I wonder if Naim considered a luminous Green platter :relaxed::nauseated_face: …slightly the wrong shade, but not far off.

1 Like

Just had an email from Amazon Marketplace, thought hold on surely they’re not in on this! Apparently not.

On a more serious note I genuinely hope folks are not tempted by one of these with a view to selling on at a profit in a few months time.

@Richard.Dane wasn’t trialling the prototype, craftily disguised as a Garrard 401, was he :wink:

6 Likes

…and therein lies the challenge of this (mad!) hobby/interest of ours, in that there’s only a handful of dealers in England (AFAIK) where you will be able to dem Naim’s and SME’s TT offerings side by side.

You should be able to dem the Linn competitor deck (as there appear to remain many joint Naim/Linn dealers*) but that begs the question of how many dem units of the Solstice are to be released to this end – 500 series dealers only?

• although many don’t do the TTs now as I understand things.

Are tempted, or are NOT tempted ? I’d hope for the latter.

Maybe there’s already the answer some where, but why “…Special Edition…” ?
Does it mean there’s (or will be) a “standard edition”?

Lindsay, I’m hoping you mean’t you hoped folks aren’t tempted to sell on at a profit…?

5 Likes

The Special Edition is the name for the collection - only 500 of these will be made.

2 Likes

Well spotted Alan, amended. Thank you for the prompt.

1 Like

Having been through the LP12/Ittok->Ekos route in the past and then via a Michell Gyrodek, I settled on an analog front end 11 years ago on a visit to Japan. It was secondhand/refurbished. I haven’t felt the need to replace it since, and it probably gets listened to more than the other two ever did. Its a Denon DP59L.

I agree, the green acrylic platter is awful.
As for other tt made by Clearaudio, there is the Marantz one.
The new mark levinson one, very nice, is made by VPI.

1 Like

Yes, like other things as well

I didn’t mean the metal or glass. As far as I know (as discussed in the Rega book), they outsource the arm and platter manufacturing, and the whole plinth at least for the Naiad but at least in the past also for other models. And at least some of the bearings.

My deepest apologizes that I understand “everything” if you write “everything”

4 Likes

Eeeek! That is hideous! Thank goodness Naim didn’t go down the Mc path!

3 Likes

Absolutely not ‘done with’ the streaming side - it’s the main part of our business! More that the current streaming platform was such an all-encompassing project - across hardware and software - that we had so spare headroom at that time.

There is always a huge amount of new development work going on here in Salisbury. And coming on the back of a great few years financially, we have more than ever to invest in R&D

6 Likes

Not worried about microcode, it’s operating system/application complexity they seem to have issues with, but good spot!

1 Like