New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I’ll ask @JT_NaimRecords

Thanks Richard👍

I don’t know the status. I know there were issues with getting it pressed . . . but I don’t know when it’ll be resolved.

What was so special about the Solstice record? I would’ve thought the least important bit of the package - I wondered at the time why it was a part of the kit. Does it show off the Solstice in some way that other records don’t? In which case…

There’s nothing magical about it but it’s supposed to be really well done analog recordings. The limited edition package contained not just the TT hardware, PS, and phono stage, but also an accessories set (gauge, level, etc.) and the book. Adding a special album seems the thing one would do when designing an appealing limited edition package.

3 Likes

exactly

I’ve just heard that after several issues with test pressings that were rejected, the LP is currently in production, but Naim will need to double check that all is well before sending anything out. So shouldn’t be too long now, all being well.

8 Likes

Does the LP have a secret, subversive and subliminal message?
Just sayin’.

1 Like

You would have to play it in reverse to find out :rofl:

1 Like

Easy enough…swap around two cables in the PS!

1 Like

Solstice update:

I believe I’ve reached full break-in with my Solstice deck. The Equinox cartridge has 70+ hours on it and is showing off what it can do. And what it does is outstanding. I know many considered this cartridge a throw-away, but I think it is very special and clearly a lot of design time went into its engineering. I am back using my Superline/Supercap DR. While the NVS-TT phono stage is very good, the Superline reveals a whole new dimension of sound. Vinyl has, in fact, become my primary source. Digital sounds flat and two dimensional by comparison.

Perhaps the greatest compliment I can pay is that I’ve been on a vinyl buying spree. The Blue Note Tone Poets reissues have been a real treat to listen to. I have no idea how the Solstice stacks up against modern decks from Linn, etc. but I am having great fun. Hat’s off to Roy, Steve and the rest of the team at Naim.

25 Likes

Secret messages in LP’s have a reputation for being rather satanic. If you play the Naim LP backwards you can just make out the words “Switch mode power supply………Uniti livery…….white lights”

7 Likes

Yebbut this only works with an Armageddon ps.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I have about the same # of hours on the Equinox and I must agree with you- it has really transformed. Earlier I was quite set on swapping it out asap but now I am appreciating what it does well - it plays the tune!
I have changed out the stock tone arm cable and this has really made a significant difference in allowing the Equinox to show its’ ability. Imo, the tone arm cable is something you should really consider exchanging… the stock cable is strangling the cartridge; it has more to give.
New cable is still burning in but straight away I had a big smile on my face :grinning:
More to come …
ATB,
Mark

5 Likes

Mark, if you don’t mind, could you tell us what tone arm cable you are burning in?

Lyra PhonoPipe. Reasonably priced for build quality and performance, imo. Also good flexibility which is important for the Solstice application in how it must route under the deck.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks, interesting.

I have now heard the Solstice on a couple of occassions, not enough to form a firm opinion, but sufficient to be impressed and enticed.

One question I have is about the magnetic suspension. My understanding that the platter is floating magnetically and therefore has a degree of ’bounce’ in relation to the arm. This goes against my understanding that the poatter and arm should be coupled, not decoupled, for good performance.

Have I misunderstood or can someone explain why decoupling is a good ide?

Best regards

Hans

I’m not aware that the magnetic bearing means it “floats”, more that it relieves some of the pressure from tip and thrust pad of the bearing and allows a much heavier platter than usual.

The suspension is within the plinth.

This is the solution I was expecting, and has been used by other turntable manufacturers. I was however told that it did float, hence my question here.
Hans