New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Interesting…how did you get this cable? how this cable actually fits the Solstice ?
thanks…

The platter does “float” magnetically. It’s not like an LP12 but it does have some travel when you press down on it. But don’t do this as there is a risk of the belt becoming misaligned. Ask me how I know. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I can guess.

Does the platter move in relation to the arm or do the arm and platter move in tandum like on the LP12 and other sprung decks?

Hans

The arm does not move.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Seems a strange design choice but if it works it works.

Hans

The Soltice magnetic platter bearing is a big part of the ClearAudio higher end turntables… maybe @JosquinDesPrez can comment having had longer experience? (My entry level Concept Active doesn’t have one, nor is an upgrade available).

@Ariel26 - the cable was a custom build to my spec. Unfortunately, most cable companies have no idea what the Solstice or Aro2 even look like, so it was a lot of pictures, drawn diagrams and measurements to give Lyra the info they needed to source an appropriate 5Pin Din connector that would fit into the arm collar of the deck. I was surprised that they were willing to take on the engineering and sourcing of new parts for this project - perhaps they see a market for the Solstice cable? My dealer was very helpful with the communications with Lyra Japan and ultimately the cable was made for me. The PhonoPipe is a hand made item so changes in connectors may not be that big of a challenge.

3 Likes

Seems to me that one must distinguish vertical movement in the magnetic bearing and lateral movement between platter and arm. Lateral movement is certainly unwanted, but vertical movement being possible when pressing down on the platter does not necessarily mean that lateral movement is possible.

Regarding the vertical movement, nobody in their right mind will be pressing down on the platter while playing a record, so the vertical position is determined by gravity and the opposing magnetic force, both of which are constants (hopefully).
And if there is any tiny residual possible vertical movement, it’s most likely much smaller than inevitable vinyl imperfections, different thickness and weight of every record, etc

From what I can glean it actually does float but until I can get hands on with one, that’s about all I can say. I guess the force is enough to create a non-compliant mechanical loop of a kind but decoupled?

I am certainly no expert on turntable technology but my understanding is that the motive for having suspended designs is to isolate the platter-arm system from air, motor and ground borne vibration. With this design it seems that the platter is better isolated than the arm, ie they may not necessarily move perfectly in unison.

Perhaps this is ok if its only lateral movement that is affected?

I think it was done the same way in the Platine Verdier, the first turntable with magnetic suspension. In that case I believe the very heavy weight of the platter and the very strong magnets created strong enough forces to ensure that there was no vertical movement. In their smaller Nouvelle Platine I believe the platter was in contact with the bearing.

Hans

Certainly no expert either, just thinking out loud :slight_smile: I trust, though, that it is not as wobbly as the Mag-Lev Audio ML1 turntable :wink:

Interesting that a TT that was developed as a package through to phonostage folks are already improving with changes to cartridge, lead and phonostage.

2 Likes

From photos of the Solstice without the platter mounted, it looks like the metal brace going from the arm mount is not connected directly with the bearing (like it is on Rega turntables for instance). It looks like there are several layers of wood between the brace and the (wooden?) part holding the bearing. I find all this intriguing. I would love to hear the reasoning/motivation for these design choises.

Hans

“improving” is the key word…

1 Like

This image shows the sprung “island” of multiple layers that holds the bearing and the armboard;

5 Likes

Yes, the CMB is on my Ovation. The subplatter and platter float on the bearing magnetically. You can push down on the platter and see it move. It’s one of the reasons I can use a 850 gr spindle weight and 1500 gr outer ring without worrying about wearing out the bearing. Some people try to use heavy weights and outer rings with TTs that aren’t designed for it, and that’s why it’s a mistake. The excess weight can trash the bearing over time (and motor if it also isn’t designed for it).

1 Like

No doubt some Solstice owners are swapping out carts, cables and phono stages… but as a package it is very good and I bet most will enjoy it as-is. But since the dawn of time turntables have been modified to the owners taste. Varyat has peaked my interest in the Lyra cable, I’ll be following his progress at it runs-in.

I have reached out the Chord and their Music Phono cable is compatible with the Solstice. Being a Music cable it is not cheap.

3 Likes

No but it sounds great!

Well done varyat!
May I ask how much…
Have you tried with chord cable?
They’re more familiar with Naim owners…

1 Like

Tell us more!