New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I don’t get the business side of it really. Why spending all this dev time and resources into something limited to 500pcs at the end of vinyl dawn? Say having a 50% markup on it x 500pcs. Do they even get to break even?

3 Likes

From what I gather the SMPS is for standby only.

2 Likes

A small switched-mode power supply (SMPSU) detects the turntable has stopped and go into a 0.5W power sleep mode for standby. This is automatically disengaged when the turntable is in use – when an oversized toroidal transformer takes over power duties.

4 Likes

From what I gather, this has mainly been Roy’s baby, leading the team to develop it during his “retirement”.

7 Likes

Looks like a Burndy type connector input into the back of the deck from the supply/phono. Very neat.

I’m not familiar with Clearaudio’s decks but as experts in this area this teaming arrangement works to both strengths.

Just what you need, another turntable to add to the collection :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Is there a lid/dust cover for this?

Will there only be 500 Equinox MC cartridges ? Or will you be able to purchase replacements in due course ?

Hi
Is it belt drive or direct drive?
Thanks

The accessories kit includes a dust cover for the platter. No lid, but any ‘dome’ style cover will fit fine. Any lid that was tried compromised performance.

3 Likes

There will be spares and replacements available for any of the elements, for those whom buy the package.

2 Likes

Thanks Clare

Clare… thanks for prompt response.

It does seem odd and market toe-dipping, noting SME offer packaged TTs now (save the phono-amp).

And I see the TT is powered via a burndy? If so, one hopes it’s very flexible, to enable the kit to be located without issue.

Lots to like here but there’s a great deal of competition at this price-point.

2 Likes

Belt drive.

To be more exact, platter rotation is provided by a low-noise, high-torque, brushless 24V DC motor coupled through a neoprene belt. An optical feedback system continuously monitors platter speed, allowing the motor drive electronics to make very small adjustments in seconds - maintaining absolute correct speed and pitch accuracy for the life of the turntable.

3 Likes

Looks like a work of art. Looks more like £20,000 than RRP.

2 Likes

How long before we see the first one of these posted in “Show us your turntable”?

I’ve just upgraded my LP12 to a Radikal and Karousel bearing just a few weeks ago…

1 Like

If they make £2000 profit on each one, that’s one million profit. Even £1000 on each one generates £500K. Not bad if they sell them all in one year. Clearaudio manufacturing them, so no overheads on detooling a factory at the end of it. So I think it does make sense. Plus they gain a greater understanding of turntables / turntable market - which could be invaluable for future products.

2 Likes

Would be interested to learn if we may see a return of the Naim Aro Gen 2 being made available separately - the original Aro commands a worthy premium now

3 Likes

Bear in mind that the Clearaudio factory is used to build just the turntable (plus arm & cart), and the power supply and phono stage are built in the Naim factory in Salisbury.

3 Likes