New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I have a rega aphelion 3 from my p10 (dealer preferred to trade in just the deck) so my fiddle at some point but k it is going to need some work to get the tracking weight right, it is a very light cart. Also have my allnic phono stage to try

1 Like

When I had my Solidsteel WS-5 mounted on the wall, that was a plaster on brick installation as well. Like you some of the plaster on the brick chipped away (it’s hard to prevent that). However, I also cemented the anchors into the brick before I bolted the wall bracket on. It didn’t budge a mm ever.

3 Likes

How does the sound of the new wonder TT develops? Any conclusions on the Solistice compared to the Bardo and Rega?

Still early days and a lot of running in needs to be done, especially the cartridge. Initial impressions are very favourable, it is fun to listen to and is more engaging than the Klimax LP12 I borrowed (though less detailed) or the P10 or the Bardo.

Top end is a bit closerd in at the moment but that may be the cart or setup as I have not adjusted anything except tracking force thus far. I will play with all that once it is run in.

So far I am really pleased.

2 Likes

Just for clarity Ryder are you saying that you haven’t checked Azimuth or Anti Skate?

No I have checked them and they are fine, just not bothered tweaking VTA yet (currently parallel to a 180g record)

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

That is great to hear. More fun is always good :slight_smile:
Glad for you it turns out positive.

Looking forward to more reports by time.

So, this damn grub screw. I have loosened it and changed the vita a little. What I loosened it the arm dropped right down :hushed:

Got it back to level and had a listen. Raised it a fraction and sound improved a bit. Once I was happy went to tighten the screw but it won’t go tight. It kind of tenses up and then turning it a bit more it goes loose again. Almost like it has spoiled the threads. However I did not apply any force to it. I am using the smallest of the drivers provided in the secret tray where the scale and levels are.

Anyone got any ideas?

Somehow I thought there’d be a screw adjustment for VTA, just locked with a grub screw, not a loosen it and catch the pillar setup like the first Aro.

It does sound like you’ve stripped a thread from your description but there’s a dearth of manuals explaining how it should work when looking online.

That is the odd thing, there is a screw adjustment and that works fine. The pillar just dropped all the way when I loosened the grub screw. The barrel adjuster still raises and lowers the VTA though.

That sounds very odd…the grub screw is just to provide a good “lock” of the VTA after adjustment with knob. When I loosen my grub screw, the arm remains in position. Sounds like something is off here…best call your dealer.
Good luck

1 Like

Do you have a manual for the Aro 2? Something that explains the adjustment of the bearing height would be good. Digging back in this thread might reveal it but who has time for that?
Was it the correct grub screw to loosen?

Yes definitely the right one, there is a picture on this thread. Not mentioned in the manual :confused:

I’ll call my dealer tomorrow. Does not seem to have effected the sound adversely at lest

1 Like

There is no manual for the Aro2.
There should be.

2 Likes

As we try to soldier on after such very sad news today I thought that I’d post my simple solution to the lack of magnet strength for light weight cartridges in the bias bolt that creates anti skate.

I tried three different magnetic strengths and found 1kg to be perfect with leverage either way for slightly lighter or heavier cartridges than my DV XV1t.

Easy to buy on Amazon for a few quid. Look for 10mm x 2mm 1kg strength.

4 Likes

@Cohen1263 - Excellent work-thanks!

1 Like

Wow some amazing systems on here. Those DBL’s are simply magnificent. Re: Solstice, I like the fat platter it makes the unit look substantial and I’m sure there’s an engineering benefit too if Naim have chosen to construct it in this manner. You’d hope given the advancements in engineering and technology that these should sound better than an LP12 which frankly is very basic under the pretty exterior (I have one so I’m not ‘hating on them’).

I did chuckle at Richard being told off for using ‘so’. My brother in law is in marketing and he starts his sentences in this way a lot. Doesn’t bother me too much as it’s just the way a lot of people speak nowadays. Richard is the Naim forum Don Corleone though, he cannot be questioned, ever! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If we are to get into annoying buzzwords there are many far worse in circulation currently, usually banded about by the media and jerks in politics. A particular one I dislike is ‘deep dive’.

The original ARO was designed with one particular cartridge in mind, Linn’s lovely Troika, hence the three fixed holes in the headshell. Naim apparently took the view that having slots, rather than fixed holes, would compromise the arm’s performance. The result is that mounting other cartridges can be difficult.

Fortunately, Dynavector cartridges fit the two front holes. So far I’ve used two Dynavector cartridges with my ARO successfully (D17 and XX-2MkII), and have just had a brand new Te Kaitora Rua fitted (but not yet listened to).

1 Like