New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Thank you, sir!

1 Like

Market forces (as it seems now) are hard to argue with…
But! for me, it is a big success! and it will.
It’s a brilliant tt and that’s how it’s sound!
I’ve sold my Linn and never look back:)
That’s a pity, I hope Naim will continue to produce this kind of turntable, this way or another, Thus, potential customers will understand that this is not a passing product, that’s the whole point.
Why on earth Naim develop such a brilliant product without any continuation…it dose not make sense…

Here’s hoping for those that invested that there is a long term support for the product.
I’d be gutted.

I wonder what Naim Audio set as ‘success’ for the Solstice project…? In terms of actual sales, it could clearly have sold faster, as there are still brand new units out there, being ‘sold off’, at less than original list price.

As a design exercise, it must be surely judged a success. We already know that a new Phono stage will result from it. I guess release of the ARO2 would still be high on some wish lists…?

Hi,

I think I’ve missed this bit of news. Can you tell me more?

All the best,

Richard

1 Like

If you read the Naim New Classic thread you will see that the new Phono stage was “launched” by mistake in the US and then kind of ignored, except by one commenting senior member of the Naim team who confirmed it but said he couldn’t say anything more.

Anyway because of the inadvertent breach of embargo by the German show organiser, we also know that several new Naim products will be launched there in less than 3 weeks. I think we pretty well know what, but I am not going to spoil Richard’s bank holiday by repeating it now.

4 Likes

Naim have said that the Soltice phono stage will be released as a stand alone item.
Google Naim 331, for more…

I think that the TT would have been a much more attractive proposition had it not been a limited edition. I was never in the market for one but if I was I would have worried about trade-in value, upgradeability, long-term support, its niche position…

1 Like

And… the Elephant In The Room that is the Linn LP12. Which has proven over many years to be a ‘safe’ choice.

A decision I don’t understand was making the ARO2 so specifically tailored to the Solstice TT - and (apparently) very unsuited to being fitted to an LP12. Shot In The Foot, anyone…?

2 Likes

Regardless of whether a product is nearing the end of production or not, it’s probably pretty unreasonable to think that a manufacturer would be willing to reveal its unique design in front of an open curtain, don’t you think…:smirk:

Nah… Steve loves to dive into the details. I once met him at a Statement event here in Seattle. He went into great detail with me on how he designed the amps. Most of what he said I didn’t understand… and I loved every minute.

What I find most fascinating is the story behind the design.

4 Likes

Thanks,

I knew about that but wasn’t considering it as a new product as it already exists.

What I was really dreaming of was a new Superline+

All the best,

Richard

Sounds good, let’s hope so :+1:

Your assumption Ian is that the LP12 with Radikal is better than the Solstice with 300 p/s. Linn owners are notoriously defensive of their decks so most will not want to believe me when I say that IMO it isn’t and Ím a fan of the LP12 having owned two. Roy George spent a lot of time on the design of the Solstice and ARO 2 and it shows.

The marketing of the Solstice only as a complete package was frustrating though and surely was influenced by having to rely on Clearaudio for the build. Unfortunate as the phono stage is good but clearly bettered by a Superline/ Supercap and the Equinox the same scenario with a top DV and by all accounts a top Lyra. I’m told that there is a good stock of spares for servicing the deck over the long term.

Sadly very few people will hear what a Solstice/ARO 2 can do. It may well with time become one of those iconic products.

3 Likes

It’s a great deck…enjoy.

2 Likes

Oh no we’re not! :wink:

5 Likes

No, sorry. I am just simply saying that the Linn LP12 is a very popular choice - and has been for many years. Nothing more than that.

1 Like

Having been a long time LP12/ARO owner I doubted all other turntables as over-engineered nonsense. Owning a Solstice for over a year now I’m hearing magic I never thought possible from vinyl. So good in fact that it’s become my primary source. Roy George applied his decades of knowledge to build a terrific turntable. He and the design team at Naim should be commended. Too bad only 500 will ever me made.

8 Likes

With all due respect to the lp12 (as a former owner) I can only say it’s a good vintage toy (and that’s after it’s properly dressed) in compartion …that benefits especially from Naim Aro 1 , and not mention the Naim Superline/ Armageddon …

I got the Lyra PhonoPipe cable a week ago and install it…took me less than five minutes to switch between them!..and a surprise! the Lyra (immediately) was a clear upgrade! over the original Solstice cable.
As I already guessed, there is no “engineering customization” required, the correspondence here really not clear…it’s the same cable with a universal “din” plug - that’s all!
I bought it from KJ West One Hifi Store at the regular price list.
The feet were replaced as well to Synergistic MiG SX, another obvious upgrade!

Highly recommend!

8 Likes