New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I must say I was severely tempted to switch from a high-spec LP12 (via break-up values) in to the Solstice TT as, like others who have posted way above on here, the continual LP12 updates from Linn simply feel ‘wrong’ (drip, drip), and their pricing punchy. There would have been a material costs gap, but OK, it would be a present to myself. But, I had reservations regarding long term support for the Solstice and what the package aspect meant (via adaptability e.g. I have a TKR, which would make no sense to sell). There was also the limitation of the burndy, which could be problematic with the wall shelf plus, of course, what to do with the phono stage, as I already have a SL.

It seems, blessed with what’s now been revealed, a bullet was dodged, as this has all the looks of a deck which cries out to be pimped based on the reputation of the ARO and the provenance of the TT with all its features via Clearaudio. OK, it can be done as @Cohen1263 has kindly detailed, but this isn’t how higher-end TTs are supposed to be – and it’s not as Richard suggested (not his fault) way back in this thread:

2 Likes

That’s fair. And describes my current turntable too :slight_smile: I bought my Technics on the basis it was fit and forget. And it sounded excellent!

[edit: there were lots of reasons actually, but the fact it was a complete package was one]

Honestly the amount of guff and hand wringing from people on here who don’t even own a solstice, and many probably not even heard one is astounding. If you want to constantly tinker and are suckered into linn’s marketing led constant upgrade model then get an LP12, pay your money each year for upgrades and be happy, you are not the target market for this deck. For me I listened to the solstice vs a klimax LP12 and bought the one I preferred. Never have any intention to modify it, Naim (via my dealer) have assured me that the equinox will be available for the foreseeable future so all is good. If I can’t get an equinox I’ll use a different cart and do whatever is needed to make it work.

Simples

14 Likes

I bought a Keel/A for my LP12 a few years ago. Other than that, the only change to my turntable has been a new Dynavector TKR cartridge, to replace a worn XX2 MkII.

1 Like

Good post HL and thank you.

I rate Naim and it’s products very highly. But I have to be honest and open about my experience with the Solstice as it just might just help one or two fellow owners with future purchase decisions.

This is the type of forum info that has historically helped me.

4 Likes

Thought you had a new top plate & plinth etc, and “the only part left of my original LP12 are the hinges” - I paraphrase perhaps.

Maybe I’ve misremembered.

Steve!
It would be great if you can ask him to explain the considerations behind the decision to allow the platter to ’bounce’ vertically (on its magnetic suspension) in relation to the arm pillar.

Best regards

Hans

It’s all about the music. Fabulous.

10 Likes

Agreed!

6 Likes

:+1: Innovation is not even common in Europe and certainly not with two tonearms.

1 Like

I’ve just had it for a month now (replaced my Clearaudio Ovation). One arm for stereo LPs and the other for mono. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the Innovation is all that common here (U.S.) either. My Clearaudio dealer has only sold a few I think.

4 Likes

Now that I think about the top plate, I do wonder.

I can’t think when, or why, that would have been replaced - although I do remember fancying an all-black alternative.

So, on reflection, that may be original as well as the hinges!

Excellent photos of the Solstice and Innovation in action…enjoy them!

2 Likes

I successfully fitted a ARO1 counterweight to my Solstice and was able to achieve the correct downforce on a Lyra Kleos SL. Not sure how many of these are available used, but I would not be hard for an experienced machine shop to manufacture a run of these for Solstice owners.

Who’s making aftermarket LP12 parts these days? I think Tiger Paw is no longer in business.

@110dB I think it would be a good idea for Naim to supply an alternate counterweight for Solstice owners. What can be done at the factory to make this happen?

4 Likes

Would be a Clearaudio action I think… rather than Naim…?

Chris, was this a standard ARO1 counterweight? Just asking because when I recalled that you had fitted one to your Solstice, Peter mentioned here that it would not fit. So a not entirely clear picture…

Has this thread become “CounterweightGate”? :grin:

1 Like

Clearaudio are simply a Naim subcontractor.

Naim would have to ask Clearaudio to investigate the possibility of supplying a weight/weights that would allow a wider range of cartridges to be used.

1 Like

You are correct… :expressionless:

I read Peters findings and it’s a bit of a head scratcher. My Aro1 counterweight threaded onto the Solstice perfectly… I assumed it was a happy accident or the thread pitch was copied from the original.

Machining a lighter counterweight is not rocket science. A fairly straightforward project. Naim or aftermarket could easily produce this.