New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

My dealer gave me what he thought was a spare Aro counterweight and it did not fit (too small a diameter)

Did the ARO go through different designs?

It does seem we are back at the beginning…from months ago…asking Naim to source a lighter counterweight that enables the successful use of this turntable with carts in the 7-9g range…the range that actually matches the specified weight of the Equinox according to the documentation (“8g”). This matches what the overwhelming majority of Naim devotees use for carts There may also be an issue where a different magnet for anti-skate is needed as well. There was also the issue of wires and the pins not quite aligning right…maybe Chris you can speak that?

That’s not the weight of the cartridge and whilst your “help” is appreciated, it would result in the wrong part being made.

Thankfully, Naim now seem to be aware that indeed the Equinox is not 8g.

1 Like

Bart i have high confidence that Naim will not make the wrong counterweight should it choose to do so to target the 8g (±1g) weight carts that most of us use.

I agree, it’s just not what your words said at least as I read them. Any ideas that the Equinox weighs 8g must be relegated to the trash bin.

How difficult can it be, to determine if an Original ARO counterweight will or will not fit on a Solstice ARO 2…?

Very difficult, in seems… :thinking:

Ian true but i think an even better question is how long will it take to create a new counterweight that works on Aro2 for carts in the 8g (± 1g) range and make it available for customers.

1 Like

How long will it take - maybe forever…

How long should it take - it should have been part of the package from the start (so a counterweight for the Equinox AND a counterweight for a ‘circa 8 g’ cartridge).

Perhaps an aftermarket maker might step in - but I doubt the numbers would make any sense.

Ian i agree. This has been obviously all wrong from the start. It is time for action. I encourage Naim to make that call. This product, with such a counterweight, takes its place as one of the best turntables i have ever heard, and one of the best value per dollar tables ever made when you consider the whole package.

Seems it does fit so shouldn’t be hard to research who made the original ones.
Good of someone with both to try. :+1:t2:

IIRC the bore of the counterweights was given a final honing at Naim to ensure a perfect fit on the stub shaft. I remember that at least one batch needed a fair bit more honing than before in order to fit properly, possibly down to the plating.

I have a bunch of different ARO counterweights, including some “bare” ones that weren’t plated, just solid brass. What I don’t have is a Solstice with an ARO2 so I can’t really tell you how they all fit (or not)…

1 Like

Well… its seems that you are uniquely placed to resolve this question, Richard… :slightly_smiling_face:

On your next visit to Naim HQ…!!!

You could be waiting a while.

Far better would be if a Solstice were sent to me and then I could try out some of the counterweights. Of course, it could also take a while… :wink:

9 Likes

While waiting for Richard to dig out his Aro1 specimens and plan a voyage to the Naim factory would be an interesting thread in its own right, it really is utterly irrelevant. 500 customers are not going to source and cannibilize an Aro1 to fix this issue. Naim knows the right bore size on the Aro2 and should find a partner who can make an appropriately weighted counterweight in that size for circa 8g carts for their customers.

More curious:
The cartridge was thought to be 8g
Turns out to be 14g
Has the compliance changed
…because this is sure going to affect the resonant frequency of this mass + spring system

Jlewis good point snd also lets also not lose track of the antiskate magnet issue raised by Cohen. The ‘circa 8g’ option may need a different magnet as well.

Understood. As an alternative, perhaps @Cymbiosis can comment , as they seem to be the source of the reports that an Original ARO counterweight will not fit a Solstice ARO2…?

Is it perhaps just a matter of tolerances or fits/clearances - or is it just totally wrong…? Trying several samples could be useful, if not yet done.

A very elegant way to request a Solstice, I must say.

1 Like

Richard has a way with words that few can equal…!