New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Vertere Mystic 9.1gm

1 Like

Thank you. Added to my list.

2 Likes

@110dB - new high found.

• EMT JDS Novel Gold - 18,0 g

I’m stating the obvious but Naim needn’t make perfection the enemy of the good.

I’d hate to see any solutions delayed by a thought that they need to accommodate every cartridge ever known to, or fever-dream-dreamt-of by, humankind.

4 Likes

Exactly, 6g up to whatever the current counterweight covers will do very nicely :wink:

Oh plus a spacer for carts where the pins foul on the head shell

1 Like

@Bart @Ryder35 - Just presenting the data here… :expressionless:

IMO, the ‘fix’ (if there is to be one) should be a lighter ARO2 counterweight, around the mass of the previous Original ARO standard counterweight, which has been stated as being 110 g.

Any ‘extreme’ carts (such as some EMT’s and Ortofon’s) should be left to those who will always ‘modify’ what they have.

4 Likes

A spacer would also add some extra mass, to help some of the lighter offerings, perhaps… :thinking:

You are doing a sterling job! The only problem is everyone is turning it into a let’s list every cart we can find exercise!

2 Likes

Wait until they start listing MM carts for easy stylus changes. :thinking: :scream:

8gr target as per the spec. Assuming 1gr variance thats all carts 7-9gr which offers a great selection. It was interesting though that 110db seemed to indicate a 3gr variance.

Thanks. I think its pretty much complete, now. What I was trying to do was to determine the range of cartridge weights, to help Steve S with the ARO2.

My conclusion is that this is from 5,0 g to 18,0 g.

The Linn Troika which the Original ARO was designed around was/is 7,0 g. Although I am a bit suspicious that all of the Linn Carts from that era (Asak to Troika) claim to be 7,0 g… :thinking:

1 Like

I suppose the next question would be what would be reasonable to accommodate. I guess 6-7 g up to the point at which the current counterweight kicks in?

1 Like

A lighter cart could be easily dealt with with a spacer/weight of around 2,0 g… :astonished:

I think that’s easily the widest range . . . if someone can’t live with that range, too bad.

Yes, it should be made clear that 6.0 is important, because all the Rega MC cartridges, which are quite good, have that weight.

2 Likes

It’s just a shame that their 3 point mounting is very different (3rd bolt hole at the front rather than the back) so you can’t take advantage of it on the ARO or ARO2.

2 Likes

If we are making counterweights, then why can’t we have a few more choices? One for low weight-5-6 grams, one for 8-10 grams and the current stock weight for the heavies. Keeping the counterweight close to the arm pillar as possible for best results…

1 Like

Clearaudio certainly knows how to do that. The 9" Universal arm comes with 5 counterweights of various mass.

1 Like

Put me down for a counterweight. Someday a Lyra Etna SL will replace the Equinox.

1 Like

The Lyra Atlas never ceases to blow my mind how good it is (I have SL and Mono), and I came from a DV XV-1s which is no slacker. I bet an Etna will bring you joy.

You’ll want the SL version with a Superline. FWIW: I am using a 470R Z-Plug with the Atlas. If I didn’t listen to classical a 500R or so might have been fine too. I’ll bet the Etna is similar.