New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

long live German overengineering :upside_down_face:

No, upgraded tower for Paris!

Oh, I don’t know that visually reducing height has anything to do with the motivation for making it black. The same turntable was also available with a milky white acrylic platter instead of the black POM, although I don’t know if that’s still an option. These Clearaudio TTs are high mass designs and the big platters are just a part of executing that.

I don’t care for the polished look of the Solstice platter, but it’s doesn’t bother me either.

I didn’t look it up, but I imagine the acrylic one would also have the steel (?) top and bottom bits, visually cutting it up?

The 15mm SS subplatter on the bottom is on all of them. What you see on the top is the aluminum Outer Limit ring. It’s an optional accessory and isn’t included with the turntable. Again, it’s not so much a visual cue as much as it is a part of the high mass design (that 15mm SS subplatter weighs about 20 lbs).

Also, the Innovation Compact and Innovation Basic do not have the SS subplatter.

2 Likes

That’s the old version. Now it’s $275,000 (or $300k in piano black). The linear tracking arm shown is another $32,000. Might as well add the Goldfinger Statement cartridge for another $17,000.

What’s $350k when you need to play your Taylor Swift albums the way she meant them to be heard?

1 Like

Wonder how many they sell?!

I know it’s non-zero. I’ve seen enough pictures of them in the wild (e.g. on Clearaudio FB page setting them up for customers). Rich Asian and Arab customers, but also in the west (EU, US).

1 Like

Is this a Solstice thread, or what?

“I got rambling on my mind”

2 Likes

Then “Ramble On” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is sold like french baguettes. So elegant ! A visual poem.

3 Likes

3 Likes

This one costs the same as the Solstice, but without cartridge and phono.
I find it more elegant, because the platter is better proportioned to the chassis.

IMG_2817
Bergman Gauder

Requires an engineering degree to setup, tune and troubleshoot. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think the Solstice looks nicer.

4 Likes

Is there anywhere to put the record? Oh yes, I see - with a lot of dexterity you can put it in there somewhere.

1 Like

I couldn’t possibly comment, but a large telco’s HQ buildings’ meeting hospitality budget had been running at over £2 million per annum at that time.

1 Like

A turntable I’ve always wanted to own but never did:

The Garrard SP25 MkIII. Totally devoid of any logic I know, but ever since the local record shop in the mid 70’s had two of these on the counter constantly playing, I’ve always really wanted one. The one pictured appears to have a Shure cartridge fitted, but the ones in the record shop had Goldring G850 cartridges with lovely bright red stylus housings! I still go all weak at the knees thinking about these! Alas I ended up with a BSR McDonald MP60/AKG K8 which was nice but not nearly so sexy looking!

6 Likes

Correction: That should of course be an ADC K8 cartridge, not AKG! Not that I suppose anyone cares!