New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

There are apparently more of us who think that the company and the brand have deteriorated under the current management, see above. It has nothing to do with the factory in the UK, or with their staff. Their fate lies entirely in the hands of the management team and CEO at Focal & Naim and that is what the criticism is all about. Thought you would have figured it out by now. We’ll simply have to see how it goes in the future, but I’m skeptical and many with me, so :unamused:

2 Likes

I do agree with this, though I think it is more pronounced outside a UK centric view, largely as good support is still available there.

I’m sure the factory does a sterling job, but they aren’t steering the ship.

9 Likes

Exactly👍

4 Likes

I still can’t seem to get one of the new narrow rear stanchions for my Fraim. My dealer has tried and the N.A. distributor seems clueless. I even gave them the part numbers. Years ago when I tried to get a Superline demo it was like pulling teeth. The distributor insisted the dealer had to buy the Superline with no return (and I’m the only one who has ever bought one from them). OTOH: getting my broken HiLine went very well (and free), once my dealer finally got an RMA. Maybe Naim realized what a terribly flawed product it is. I think my dealer has been unimpressed with the new Naim in recent years. They haven’t brought in a single NC series component (although I don’t care about hearing any of it either).

I’m really happy with my Classic series boxes, but if I ever move on from them it will likely be a brand jump too (maybe Boulder, maybe Simaudio).

Naim doesn’t seem the same place they were pre-Focal.

2 Likes

Today’s listening session included albums by Slowdive, Portishead & Elliot Smith. One thing that strikes me is how much detail I hear from Solstice compared to my previous LP12/Aro system. Slowdive in particular put me in a bit of a trance with their melodic guitars. Shoegaze music at its best.

23 Likes

Good to hear something positive

5 Likes

Cracking photo, Sir. Love the texture

2 Likes

Okay let’s take the bigger picture, during Covid Naim launched their first ever, and perhaps only ever, TT. When they initiated the project they had no idea the pandemic was going to impact but inevitably it (Covid) caused problems just as in all industries as anyone who tried to order a new car will understand. At the same time Naim have completely revamped their Classic range and whilst I haven’t heard any of the new products it’s clear they have made a very positive impact.

Do I wish Naim were still completely independent? Yes. But that would be ignoring the realities of modern corporate life and it seems to me that the current range of products are second to none.

9 Likes

I agree. I think Naim’s management of the overall product line from Statement to New Classic to Uniti to Muso has been exemplary. Add to that they still recap the older generations which is amazing and enables many of us to build onto our old systems with new Naim equipment. I use Olive amps but i drive them with a Core and i also have a Muso Qb.

The Solstice is a horrible outlier. But the core underlying product itself is quite quite excellent and if the new counterweight fixes the cartridge compatibility issue then at the end of the day all is well. It has unfortunately been a long ‘day’ which Naim should reflect on. Not a good moment or look for the brand.

1 Like

hello ,
l’ liked my solstice with my atc active : great sound
i,tryed my collaro red on the solstice
the sound is better than the original cover by naim
have you tried different cover with solstice ,
thanks

Naim aren’t the only ones who can’t quote a cartridge weight correctly.

This is an SPU Royal N, supposedly 13g worth but maybe I’m doing it wrong

but then my 5g calibration weight weighs the same in either position.
You can add in the spacer that goes with the cartridge for another 3.05g but it will still need a bit of magnetic assistance to make the quoted weight.

1 Like

You took it out of the box. :wink: :joy:

1 Like

Might as well do the rest while I’m at it.

Dynavector didn’t do so badly with the 17D3 quoted as 5.8g

Denon, 8.5g

Transfiguration, 7.8g

and the other living fossil, or rather one not seen recently and possibly extinct

There’s no weight on the enclosed paperwork, best I can find is 6.7g but that may be with a Decca Pod instead of just the soft plastic bracket.

2 Likes

Perhaps everyone else is not perfectly accurate…but Naim’s number on the Solstice is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off. 8g vs 14g. Just crazy.

I wonder how reliable cartridge compliance values and tone arm effective mass are, a weight’s relatively easy to measure.

The Royal N needs to be weighed along with the top “cheese” slice section as it can’t be used without it unless mounted inside one of Ortofon’s headshells.

My own Royal N on some postage scales weighs 13g. Not ideal scales so assume anywhere between 13 and 14g

1 Like

Kitchen scales are quite likely to be magnetic, as the Ortofon ones are when using the top of the pan, the side platform has a better chance and both measure a 5g test weight correctly.
The cheese weighs 3.05g on its own, add the weight of the cartridge you get 11.16g, which is within the range of a standard Aro (1) counterweight. I’ve already balanced 11.2g with it so once I’ve sorted out the clips I’ll fit the Royal N and we’ll see, I’ll also try it for resonance on the HiFi News disc.

@Richard.Dane, I feel I’m taking this thread rather far from the solstice so would you prefer I start another when I report that result?

SPU Royal N is one of the best cartridges ever!

Yes, that might be best.