New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Argh, get it.

I don’t think people who want to put a different cartridge on a turntable let alone different from one no longer manufactured are “folks that must fiddle”.

2 Likes

And in my opinion, I see it right, so we’ll have to settle for not agreeing.

“fiddle” really is kind of a strange term for doing gear changes.

1 Like

Uncle Ernie “Fiddles About” :scream:

3 Likes

Pity you’re not in the UK as a trip to the factory might change your view.

To me the Solstice situation is an outlier for Naim. Overall the support is superb. I just had my 30+ year old 72/hc/250 recapped by Naim for the 3rd time. They sound great and I’m good for another decade. Also generous trade ins for digital gear that can’t be supported any more. Who else does this? When you buy from Naim you don’t get yet another piece of junk to throw in the trash in a few years…you get much more.

As to the Solstice if they deliver the new counterweight and the tonearm can properly fit a reasonable range of carts without kludges and hacks then all is well.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Who owns the IP ( intellectual property) for Soltice?

There likely is no enforceable IP that would prevent anyone from making parts, if that’s what you mean.

“IP” is a broad term but I assume you mean who owns rights that they could use to stop others. Patent rights - almost surely none. Trademark rights – anyone must be careful not to sell parts in a way that the consuming public thinks they come from Naim. “Buy this counterweight that fits on the Naim Solstice turntable” would be permissible in virtually every country insofar as I know.

Short answer – there are no IP rights in the way. See, for example, all the third-party parts for the LP12.

2 Likes

I was thinking more IP as in the design. Materials, dimensions, tolerances, the basis for the design, etc. These are the things that are handy if you want to make for exaple an alternative counterweight.

I dont know between Naim and Clearaudio who “owns” those elements, but I don’t think it matters much. Anyone is free to measure, etc. for themselves. Maybe drawings/files would help but Im sure that’s not a limiting factor (but I’m not an engineer).

Well you can measure etc, but if you start to make copies of parts the IP owner can get ( legally) upset. Also if what you copied caused harm in a H&S way you’d place yourself in a tricky legal position too. Not that a counterweight is likely to cause harm.
If for example naim dont own the IP, and they have " fallen out" with the IP owners, this may explain why this counterweight is taking time?

I trust what @Bart has to say on IP law. I happen to know for sure that he knows what he’s talking about.

1 Like

But he’s not an engineer !

I think there are plenty of examples in multiple industries where third parties have engineered replacements for components. The bicycle business is another good example, where you can get third party replacements and modifications for drive train groups. Jockey wheels and cages to replace the OEM parts on Shimano and SRAM derailleurs is a good example, or third party batteries (which have a product specific design) for SRAM AXS derailleurs.

None of this is tricky, legally. And parts can be copied absent a granted patent covering them.
Anyone who sells something that causes injury could be held liable for the damages . . . whether they copied something or not.

It’s a good thought . . . but . . . highly highly unlikely for IP rights per se to be a root cause of the delay.

2 Likes

Were there not other problems with the set up…heght of acceptable cartridges, biasing force? Are these being resolved?

Not an engineer but an IP attorney for 40 years this year!

6 Likes

Don’t ask! :see_no_evil: