New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

September or October?

I somehow can see a dedicated streamer sans dac in the new 5-series height half width boxes.

4 Likes

I always wonder (I’m serious) how people compare turntables? They will often have a different arms and mostly different cartridges as well. How do you know which bit of the sound is because of the difference in turntable? And even if the carts the same (I’ve done that with my turntables), it’s the arm/cartridge combination that’s really important, so it’s not really fair either. How do you know it’s not Clearaudio cartridge you dislike? Like @frenchrooster loves Rega, but not the carts.

1 Like

Didn’t say that :blush: What I questioned was a turntable having a Naim sound.

1 Like

I was at my dealer earlier, to pick up a new bit of kit. We were talking about the Naim TT and he sounded a bit disappointed that Naim hadn’t contacted him about selling it (he sells Naim and Focal, as well as Linn, Dynaudio, B&W, Neat, Rega, Arcam, both Chords, ATC, PMC, Melco etc); he figured that the bigger London dealers like Grahams were getting them all.

they sounded so utterly different on the same Vinyl LP that I was taken aback.

My Linn dealer told me the Lp12 main unit (whatever the secret or non-secret) was the difference.

not the tonearm or cartridge.

I have no reason to doubt my dealer who knows his stuff very well.

Definitely not the case - there’s a wide geographic split across the UK, as you can see here:
https://bit.ly/UKSolsticeretailers

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is no information available for Solstice dealers in the US using this search mechanism. But in any case, it is clear that only certain dealers were in the know.

1 Like

That’s only 3 in your link, there’s more if you go through the web site but none in France.

So Billy Vee, Soundstage and Infidelity seem to be the only London stockists Clare?

There’s a lot of turntables with pace, rythme and prat. Like Rega, Linn, Vertere, Spiral Groove, Grand Prix Audio Monaco.
Some are light and unsuspended, other heavy ( Spiral Groove), some with acrylic chassis ( Vertere), other light and suspended ( Linn), or direct drive ( technics , Grand Prix Audio Monaco).
These are all known for very good Prat. But they sound all very different.
Which one has a Naim sound ?

The answer is, of course, none. Because I would guess that what Analogmusic is calling “naim sound” is just a way to refer to a performance of a piece of Naim equipment that satisfies and has been signed off by Roy; i.e. performs as Naim designed and intended.

4 Likes

Remenber this from June last year @Richard.Dane?

1 Like

As soon as people order stock, they should be updated on the list…

Does this mean they’ll be happy side-by-side on a single Fraim level?

Yes - see this pic from What Hi-Fi’s hands-on piece

6 Likes

I hope my dealer in Versailles will demo one, during a week Naim roadshow. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Oh goody. The phono stage and power supply will fit on my half-width rack!

Imagine if not :flushed: :joy:

Still loving’ those half width boxes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes