New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

If you’re suggesting she has impeccable taste, I’d have to agree :relieved::joy:

2 Likes

No, too puny for the Linn plinth - as well as disproportionate puny overall. I do still prefer the look of the LP12, but it was not as clear cut as I had expected.

Having said that, it is the sound quality that really matters.

For me nothing beats the SME 30 anniversary for its design and looks.
It’s a 40 kg tt, so a massive design, the platter weighs 7,5 kg, but not looks out of proportion like in the Solstice.
The only caveat of the Solstice is the too tall platter for me.

From SME site

1 Like

The finish quality of both is not at the same level. The Solstice looks like a luxury product, the Lp12 more like a vintage one.

1 Like

That SME has the right proportions, FR, but the materials leave a lot to be desired. Way too shiny and bling-y. It looks like something a nouveau riche Russian oligarch or a Miami coke baron would buy. And think of the fingerprints!

4 Likes

Those two things are not mutually exclusive… (can’t comment further as I have yet to see a Solstice in the flesh, but I can see my LP12 and it looks lovely, with its afro-fluted plinth and burnished platter).

Really looking forward to reports of how it sounds.

I bet you a hundred thousand million billion trillion dollars that I won’t. It’s way out of my league these days. The Rega 8 is just lovely and more than good enough for me. I don’t play with the big boys any more.

2 Likes

Or if the plinth were thicker/taller, and the platter set down into the plinth somewhat.

1 Like

Where’s that render guy when we need him?

1 Like

Most of the football league owners then.

1 Like

I wonder if you were to replace the soft feet on the P10 with aftermarket spikes similar to those seen on the Naiad, would that get you closer to Rega utopia for a fraction of the price of a Naiad?

Blimey - who used ALL the chrome? SME did!

3 Likes

Not a fan of that look. It is heading towards oil rig dimensions.
Also, this popcorn is delicious. :smiley:

On the RP10, Rega offered alternative metal feet as an option.

We agree to disagree. Vive la différence !

looks like something a nouveau riche Russian oligarch or a Miami coke baron would buy.

For that one , yes.

Thank you and no for the phono stage but as for all Naim equipment I’d prefer to position the PS further away, preferably in the Brawn stack

The review published by Soundstage in the UK states, “Apparently, the engineers experimented with thinner platters, but they couldn’t achieve the optimum flywheel effect they needed to create that ideal solid sound.” Not sure what the underlying facts are, but “apparently” they have some basis for writing this.

Dear. God. In. Heaven…

Another hideous turntable. Where on Earth…or more to the point, who…buys these awful looking things?

7 Likes