New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

My Solstice arrived today, is setup and spinning discs! Many thanks to my local dealer, HiFiFoFum in Toronto. First impressions are WOW. The break in period has started! .

39 Likes

Very nice, lucky you…I once tried to visit HiFiFoFum to hear a pair of Harbeth 30.1’s. I was coming from Audio Eden in Aurora, after driving around in circles for about an hour in downtown Toronto, I gave up, and headed for the 401 back to Windsor. Maybe one day when I have more patience I will try to find it, or parking for it.

The mix of green and white logos will divide opinion, but it looks fine to me. I hope you are enjoying it already!

2 Likes

Of course Varyat.

Good to see end users in the USA starting to receive the first units. I’m guessing these are the initial dealer demo units.
Still no word on when UK retailers will receive their demo units from HQ :frowning:

KR

Peter

1 Like

The post above, from @Geofiz, suggests he is a customer… and not a dealer… :thinking:

Quick recap, if it helps at all!

To give a level playing field to all UK dealers, all UK Solstice units - and that’s a decent chunk of the 500 available - will go out at once.

Our distribution partners may choose to do things very differently and send units out as soon as they receive them. As previously noted, the first Solstice Special Edition packages went out at end of July, as scheduled, so it makes sense those first shipments will be landing internationally now.

I’m trying to get an update on when that major UK drop will happen, but there are a lot of people on holiday this week. As soon as I have more info, I will share.

5 Likes

20 demo units approximately, I was told. One for each retailer who is stocking the Solstice for demo with client units following later in due course.

1 Like

Yes. That is correct and worth further clarification - all demo units at once, with others to follow.

1 Like

refreshingly well said…

enjoy/ken

5 Likes

That’s a funny level playing field.

I live 40 miles from Salisbury - ordered it the day it was announced - and somebody in Toronto has theirs before my dealer even has a demo unit, let alone my unit.

So the supply to the UK market is back loaded - with markets getting smaller numbers getting theirs first - What an ODD strategy. I’m not sure that’s in the spirit of the Queens Award for Export! :joy:

Maybe what should have been right at the top of the priority list was actual customer orders? …seems I’m at the bottom, with overseas dealers demo, overseas dealers customer orders, UK dealers Demo, then UK customer orders being the pecking order.

If I sound a little frustrated - it’s because I am :roll_eyes:

Congrats to @Geofiz - looks great by the way!

2 Likes

Yes, of course, the Solstice doesn’t absolutely need to beat anything to enjoy music. But as you have already a top Lp12 Klimax and the Dohmann Helix…
But I understand your will to own the Solstice however.

1 Like

I can totally understand your frustration…

Again, i’ll see if I can get an update.

4 Likes

It’s a little shop on Mount Pleasant north of Eglinton (north of Broadway). Blink and you will miss the shop. I don’t think Steve ever had Harbeth’s. NEAT and Kudos definitely. It’s a great little shop and my go to for Naim. Get all my servicing organised by them with Focal-Naim in Montreal and new bits as well. Been dealing with them for years and never disappointed.

Thanks,

Probably just luck of draw with respect to delivery of the Solstice SE. I bet the allotment for Canada is less than number of demo units for the UK, so the logistics for the distribution is probably much easier both from the UK to North America and for internal distribution here (small dealer network & limited supply). Probably not even a single small container load of the SSE for the entire North American market and probably all pre-sold as well I would guess. I would hazard a guess that no dealer will have a SSE on demo, and if they do, not for long due to the limited supply and lack of availability of additional units.

1 Like

Ah, I might be thinking of another shop then, because they definitely carried Harbeth. I spoke to the guy on the phone, and he said he had a pair of 30.1’s set up to demo. Toronto is one of those cities that you need a guide, or can be frustrating as hell getting around alone.

Possibly thinking of Planet of Sound? They had 2 locations downtown on Queen Street at one time. Only one now, on Queen St. W. near Ossington. They carry (and distribute I believe) Harbeth. Not showing any on their website however.

Yes, that is the one…Planet of sound.

Actually, seems both Toronto locations are now gone apparently.

Possible with Covid, my attempt to visit them was about 2 years ago. I am pretty sure I was trying to find the one downtown, Queen street rings a bell. I just remember that almost every street was one way, full of pedestrians, and nowhere to park, so I gave up.