New Linn arm, plus 2 new carts

I have gone for some of the Linn uogrades,but rebadging a cartridge and charging a premium for it suggests a certain arrogance, unless of course, Linn have actually specified changes resulting in improved performance.

Iā€™d expect the cart to be made to Linnā€™s spec same as with previous AT derivatives.

Letā€™s hope so for any prospective purchasers.

Iā€™ve had my Aro since 2004 used it on a Dynavector DV 20L then went to aMicro Benz Wood SL. Upgraded to a Kiseki Blue NS 5 years ago, the combination with the Aro is sublime.
I might be wrong one of the reasons the Aro works so well on the Linn is the weight the 3 springs are virtually equally compressed? Whereas on the Linn tone arms the back springs are more compressed? Only my opinion.
I have no intention of changing the Aro for any of their arms.

Regards,

Martin

3 Likes

Specs are out there and are the same, I donā€™t think thereā€™s even room for speculation with the Koil. They know the people willing to pay double either donā€™t know about it or have a sense of brand loyalty thatā€™s borderline pathological.

Specs have been published and are the same.

It would be interesting to know if Linn have ever considered that. Naturally, we will never know!

C.

And why would you? Unless you planned on making a downgrade!

2 Likes

Apart from the basics these donā€™t tell the whole story. I really canā€™t see Linn doing badge engineering and AT wouldnā€™t be likely to go along with it either.

I generally purchase hifi based on how it sounds to me rather than looking at specs.

2 Likes

We can all believe whatever we want to believe, the fact is that it is the same body, the same cantilever, the same stylus and the same specs. Linn is now pushing to their dealers some dubious talking points about the suspension having been redesigned, but they wonā€™t publish compliance specs. How convenientā€¦

Well one doesnā€™t know until one listens to these new products

Wouldnā€™t get too uptight about it until that happens

3 Likes

Linn have ā€˜formā€™ here - going way backā€¦ No surprises.

1 Like

Thats no surprise, any business have some sort of marketing action, even the local butcher.
Whether you like their method or not is another matter.

I never cared for what Linn said since they refused to service my kit back then, Buy new they said.
I did but it wasnā€™t Linn and will never be Linn again.

The CD12, Klout, LP12 etc was great, - when it worked.
Now I have a spare i/c branded Linn, thats it.

1 Like

Indeed. I still remember being laid into by Linnā€™s Head of Service for tampering with my Sara speakers.
In fact I hadnā€™t touched them. Instead, some of the T nuts which the bass driver bolts screwed into had been pushed out during re-assembly at the Linn factory, so my bass drivers were free to flop about.

Funnily enough, even buying a new Linn Karma cartridge and turntable motor supply board didnā€™t improve the soggy flat bass, so I was a bit miffed to finally track down the issue to lack of care by Linn when upgrading drive units in my speakers.

When we (my Linn dealer and I) told Linnā€™s Head of Service what had really happened, no apology was forthcoming.

The Saras were sold shortly after and replaced by a far more musical pair of EPOS ES14, which loved being on the end of a Naim 32.5/Hicap/250!

I still havenā€™t forgiven Linn for its arrogance and rudeness to a repeat customer.

3 Likes

There were some R&D and tweakings from Linn, itā€™s not about simply rebadging a cartridge and charging a premium. There is a FB link where the Linn CEO and engineers discuss it.

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t find a link on Linnā€™s FB page. What was it that they discussed?

For some reason, I cannot enter the FB link here.

Please donā€™t post links here to other forums or social media sites. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.